How long do you have to live in Canada to apply for citizenship?

I plan on moving to Canada in a couple of years and I need to know how long you have to live there to apply for citizenship. I also need to know if you have to be a citizen of Canada to join in their military. I would like to join the Air Force if possible when I move there.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children do not need to meet this requirement.

To become a Canadian citizen, you must have permanent resident status in Canada, and that status must not be in doubt. This means you must not be the subject of an immigration investigation, an immigration inquiry or a removal order (an order from Canadian officials to leave Canada).

re the Canadian Forces:

Be a Canadian citizen; Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

Be 17 years of age (with parental/guardian consent) or older;

junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age;

you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age (with parental/guardian consent);

Meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or occupation;this can vary from Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec) for combat arms occupations to a university degree for the Direct Entry Officer entry plan.

• 1 decade ago

You have to become a permanent resident first, which you can do from outside of Canada and in some cases within Canada. If you are in Canada applying every day since you entered Canada counts as a 1/2 day towards the 3 years you have to wait after becoming a permanent resident to become a citizen (like the others say, the time line, the test, applying, etc.). Then after you are a Permanent Resident every day in Canada counts as a day towards your 3 years, days out of the country don't count. As a permanent resident you can't vote/run for elections/join military/get a passport/have high end security jobs. Once you are a citizen you can do that.

Source(s): Just became a PR yesterday
  • 1 decade ago

As a Canadian citizen, I can tell you that you have to live in Canada for a total of 1095 days (or 3 years) before applying for your citizenship. If you interrupt that with vacations and other such travel outside of our country, you will offset those days by the duration of your traveling abroad. After applying you will have to wait about 6 months to 1 year before being called for your citizenship exam. After successful completion of the exam, then you will get our citizenship at a swearing in ceremony.

You must be a citizen before applying to jobs in our military. Best of luck and hope that this helps.

• 1 decade ago

try this official site... i think it is three years

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

for armed forces again not sure but this site should tell you that

http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.