Which late 70s/early 80s British wave of music do you prefer?

Both 2 Tone Ska and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal emerged in England in the late 70s - early 80s.

Bands like:

NWOBHM - Iron Maiden, Raven, Praying Mantis, Saxon, Angel Witch, etc

2 Tone Ska - The English Beat, The Specials, Madness, etc

I know they are practically opposite genres, but which wave do you like more?

BQ: Favorite NWOBHM band?

BQ2: Favorite 2 Tone Ska band?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My answers:

I love both the NWOBHM and 2 Tone Ska, but I like the NWOBHM more. It was just pure Heavy Metal, and there were some of the best metal bands ever from that time period.

My favorite NWOBHM band is Iron Maiden

My favorite 2 Tone Ska band is a tie between the Specials and Madness

Leprosy:

I'm not sure where you live, but here in the USA no one seems to appreciate 2 Tone Ska. Ska has never been too popular as a genre here. On Vh1 I think they said that to call Madness a one-hit wonder band anywhere but the USA would be crazy.

Favorite Answer

Man, that first Specials record is a monster. I love that record. I also think it's pretty neat that Elvis Costello produced it.

I'm not so much with the NWOBHM, and only know so much of the ska, but I do love that Specials record. Madness was pretty great as well, and I like the Selector stuff that I've heard.

I like the Heavy Metal wave more. Favorite band from it is Iron Maiden.

I'm not familiar with 2 tone ska, so i have no idea what bands those are.

* I think most people prefer the music they grew up with, a lot of memories are tied to certain songs. I grew up in the 80's and love that music! Michael Jackson was so cool back then, with his songs and dance moves. I remember watching the Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal and Thriller music videos and being amazed at his talent. That was before he got so weird and had problems. I also like the 90's, but 80's are still my favorite.

I'm not sure if I qualify to answer this, what with being a Brit in Britain, but back in the early 80s {when I was little}, I certainly heard more of 2 Tone.

So, I guess I have to go with 2 Tone :)

BQ : I'm not really a fan of any of them, though I have a few Judas Priest songs.

BQ2 : Madness

NP : 'Sold My Soul' ~ Nazareth

• neither... I prefer the first wave of REAL punk. Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Generation X, Sham 69, London SS, Joy Division, PiL. The only thing better was the Cali punk bands like X, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, The Germs, etc

Heavy Metal. I wish I could include Accept with the bunch, but they are German...

Iron Maiden. I still can't get enough of their music.

Madness. How did they get labeled a one hit wonder? strange

2 Tone i caught the end of it im uk.

Love Madness and bad manners.

a little of both....

nwobhm..iron maiden.

ska....the specials and madness..

DEF LEPPARD!