Removing PMI on a FHA Loan?

I have an FHA loan and i am paying monthly mortgage insurance on it.

Is there any way i can get it removed or do i have to pay it for the rest of the term.

Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa L
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

With FHA it is when your LTV reaches 78% (not 80%) by paying down the principal. However, there is a minimum of five years that you have to have MIP (called MIP on FHA loan). It will come off automatically at the 78% mark. Look at the Truth In Lending you were given at closing. If you never pay any extra towards principal this will give you an indication when you will reach that mark. Don't be surprised if it is about 12 years.

• 3 years ago

If the living house surely appraises for $375,000, you may have the PMI bumped off even as your stability hits $three hundred,000. PMI is needed until eventually such time as you've 20% fairness at your position of living. even as your stability receives right down to $three hundred,000, you may have a clean appraisal achieved, placed up it to the lender and ask for a elimination of the deepest loan coverage.

• 1 decade ago

Until you only owe less than 80% of the appraised value. But you have to notify them. They will not voluntarily let you know and take it off your payment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.