211 asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Science Project- Airplanes?

I'm working on a science project about airplanes and how they function. I need information on this and it also must include something about chemistry, biology or physics. If you have any links please post :)

Thank you!!

Favorite Answer

Airplanes I can handle, but that is too general for much except an overview. Read the reference.

"something about chemistry, biology or physics" is the contents of a large library.

wikipedia:

A fixed-wing aircraft is a heavier-than-air aircraft capable of flight whose lift is generated not by wing motion relative to the aircraft, but by forward motion through the air. The term is used to distinguish fixed-wing aircraft from rotary-wing aircraft and ornithopters in which lift is generated by blades or wings that move relative to the aircraft. Fixed-wing aircraft include unpowered aircraft (usually called gliders) and powered aircraft (usually called airplanes or aeroplanes).

Many fixed-wing aircraft are propelled forward by the thrust from propellers or jet engines. In the United States, Canada and many other regions, the term airplane is applied to these powered aircraft. In Britain and many other regions, the term aeroplane is used. The word derives from the Greek αέρας (aéras-) ("air") and -plane. The form "aeroplane" is the older of the two, dating back to the mid-late 19th century.

Most fixed-wing aircraft are flown by a pilot on-board the aircraft, but some are designed to be remotely or robot controlled.

.

1

Source(s): Experience Real Flight Simulation : http://FlightSimulator.siopu.com/?KFz

Physics would most likely be the best way to go. What makes an airplane fly is the four forces of flight, thrust, lift, drag, and weight. Thrust is provided by the engines, propelling the airplane forward. Weight, or gravity, pulls it down. Drag pulls it backward, and lift pulls it up. For your science project, do more research on these forces.

• manzer

I in simple terms won the close by technology honest and my undertaking grew to become into on saving money around the homestead. A elementary technology honest undertaking may be finding at how plenty money you may save in case you replaced your place lighting fixtures from incandescent to fluorescent bulbs. If that's barely for college this may be a solid undertaking yet once you have been going to place it on your regionals you may win some money (I in simple terms won $850) because of the fact absolutely everyone seems to be finding for environmental initiatives. you may tie it in in case you save besides the incontrovertible fact that plenty money you besides would save besides the incontrovertible fact that plenty CO2 going into the ambience.