Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What are some complex vocabulary words for a story?

Hello.

Um... I'm writing/typing a story but am stuck on the vocabulary part. I don't want to use plain words like," In the end, the couple stayed HAPPY for 7 years until..." Something like that.

I don't want it too hard that the reader needs a dictionary. Like for some people, they said that when they read Twilight, they needed a dictionary. I want words that can be deciphered while that person reads my story using clues and such...

Maybe something like City of Bones/Ashes/Glass by Cassandra Clare style. Not too complex, not to easy. People describe Jace Wayland as arrogant and some individuals do not know what it means and some do.

I know it's kind of hard to understand what iIm trying to say... but I'm sort of in a middle of something and little help would be nice.

Thank you!

Thank you!

<3:

Wow. That's a biggie list. I'll use some that I can play with so the reader can understand it without the a dictionary/thesaurus.

Richard W:

Yup. Pretty new. I gave writing a shot before when I was in 4th grade and used um... little? words like "happy" and "sad". Things like that, but it turned out to be an A and got read to the whole school.

Oh and thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I know what you mean (; I think. So you're saying that I should use words that can be understood thanks to the how I put the sentence together? Like clues and such! Okie... thank you.

Favorite Answer

It seems that you are rather new to writing. It's getting your point across that you should worry about rather than big words. When you focus on flowery vocabulary, your story WILL seem very contrived and shallow. People will know that you spent countless hours eating dictionaries while treading on a bare bones plot. Plain vocabulary can amount to incredibly complex linguistic structures. Take Stephen King for example- he mostly uses meat and potatoes language, but he juxtaposes them together so effectively that you 'get' every single aspect of the scene/person/situation.

I have to stress this again. Use what vocabulary you have. Taking a page from Ernest Hemmingway's tips on writing, never use more words than you need. If possible, try to avoid long winded extended sentences and keep it nice, short and terse.

There are simply too many writers today trying to convolute their stories with bloated descriptive passages in the hopes of emulating Shakespeare or one upping each other. If you are lamenting over your limited vocabulary, take the minimalist way and just write what you need. Believe me, it comes out a lot better than it sounds. Remember, it's not the individual words and sentences that count, but how you put them together. I hope this helped. DON'T GIVE INTO THE THESAURUS!!

By the way, Twilight is a relatively simplistic novel wording-wise. Try reading some Issac Asimov, HP Lovecraft or Frank Herbert if you really want some models, but keep in mind that these are all highly educated men who casually use complex words to the layman on a day-to-day basis.

• soffer

Complex Vocabulary

Lol, I'm writing my first book. Here are some words that I loved and I am using! I wanted the exact same thing!

Good luck!

Idiosyncrasies - a characteristic, habit, mannerism, or the like, that is peculiar to an individual (funny habit)

Discern- to perceive by the sight or some other sense or by the intellect.

To distinguish mentally; recognize as distinct or different (being able to tell the difference)

Vindictively- disposed or inclined to revenge; vengeful

Remorse- Sorrow

Optimistically- having an open mind

Designated- specifically given orders

Irrepressible- incapable of being repressed or restrained;

Intuitively- having or possessing intuition (knowing)

Callously- insensitive; indifferent; unsympathetic

Notion- an opinion, view, or belief (A general understanding)

Inhabitable- to live or dwell in a place

Inconsequential- of little or no importance; insignificant; trivial

Demeanor- Ones behavior

Implored- to beg urgently or piteously for mercy

Feebly- weak intellectually or morally

Faltering- To move ineptly or haltingly (stumble or be weak at something)

Dispiritedly- without enthusiasm

Defeatist- To move ineptly or haltingly

Habitable- Capable of being inhabited

Petulantly- moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation,

Chortling- To chuckle gleefully

Careen- to lean, sway, or tip to one side while in motion

Precedent- any act, decision, or case that serves as a guide or justification

Adversaries- a person, group, or force that opposes or attacks

Adamant- utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals

Eradicated- to remove or destroy utterly; extirpate

Disembodied- to divest (a soul, spirit, etc.) of a body (to take apart)

Intricately- having many interrelated parts or facets (complex)

Deluge- great flood of water; inundation; flood (anything that overwhelms like a great flood)

Affirmatively- affirming or assenting; asserting the truth, validity (yes)

Conscientiously- meticulous; careful; painstaking; particular

Oblivion- completely forgotten or unknown

Beleaguered- To harass; beset

Acquiesced- to assent tacitly; submit or comply silently or without protest (to give in)

Opportunism- to assent tacitly; submit or comply silently or without protest

Traversed- to pass or move over, along, or through.

Mock-indignantly- fake pleasure

Blissful

Irrelevant

Idiosyncratic, Subservient, Demented

Well for happy i would go with words like ecstatic or in bliss. For maybe a fight or brawl, try kerfuffle, and on the off chance someone gets thrown out of a window, use defenestration.

One of my favorite words is Phantasmagoric which describes rapidly flashing images. Hope that helps!

Try Writer's Digest for tips:

http://www.writersdigest.com/GeneralMenu/

untroubled(happy)

up-to-the-minute(modern)

polished (sophisticated)

more suitable (better)

inauspicious (unlucky)

similar (like)

question (ask) it would be great if you could add part of the story so we could add on or change words

complicated subject. try searching from a search engine. that will might help!

recalcitrant - defiant

plethora - excess

tumultous - confused

I think those worlds are common but not too common...maybe? lol.