is the Bronx scary???????

whats it like up there? i lived in nyc (Clinton/HK) for almost 5 months and never gone up there. can someone tell me what to expect if i do go there? whats the crime rate and is it safe? thanks in advance

Best Answer

The crime in the Bronx wasn't as bad as it was back in the 80s and early 90s (thank the crack epidemic for that). Gentrification is at full blast there now. However, crime still remains, although a shadow of its former rate.

Some parts of the Bronx, over to the south aren't good for first timers or tourists, but they are somewhat passable. Most of the crime in the Bronx, and New York in general, is drug related, and if you aren't interested in taking a whiff of that stuff, then you might not get bothered.

Neighborhoods like Throgs Neck, Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Country Club, and Woodlawn are amazing, yet quiet places.

Neighborhoods like Hunts Point, Tremont, Morrisania, Mott Haven, and Melrose are a little rough around the edges.

Source(s): Former New Yorker :(

Jewels, The Bronx is not as scary as it used to be. Thing have change a lot in the Bronx since the middle 90s when Rudy Giuliani was mayor. This borough is a lot safer, and with that, many national retailers are moving back to the Bronx.

In regard to the South Bronx, there is nothing wrong with the South Bronx, and I completely disagree with the first post. The South Bronx, like the rest of the borough and the city, has change quite a lot in the last 15 years. This section of the Bronx is not as dangerous as it used to be and many of the abandoned lots and buildings that was the bud of jokes to late night comedians have either been remolded or build up.

I recommend anyone, who think that the Bronx or the South Bronx is a bad place to visit, to come to the Bronx and see how this borough has changed in the last 15 year and explore the only New York City borough that voted an "All American City" by the National Civic League in 1997.

Good luck

Native New Yorker

As far as I know, Riverdale and the immeidate areas around Fordham University, the Bronx Zoo, and Bronx Botannical gardens are safe. Never, ever under any circumstances travel up to South Bronx as a tourist or a newcomer to the city. It's gotta be one of the most dangerous places in all of the City in terms of crime rate.

what "csi_speedle" said is probably true about the south bronx being the most dangerous part of the city, but that doesn't mean that it IS dangerous.

New York is the second safest city in the world. There were only 2 homicides last year, so there's nothing to worry about.

• erling

I left while i replaced into seventeen i could no longer get alongside with my mom she continuously informed me that she hated me. You on on the different hand look very on the element to your father and mom do no longer LOSE that connection. I had no regrets as quickly as I left replaced into I sacred on no account. Todays international includes to many whackos do no longer enable purely anybody into your place stable success with being on your own

some areas are scary at night, others have multi million dollar houses, it depends on the neighborhood