Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

Starting own cleaning business?

I am starting my own cleaning business in central Illinois, how much should i charge?

I would be cleaning houses

Favorite Answer

Step1

Determine what type of cleaning service you wish to provide. It could be residential house cleaning, window cleaning, carpet cleaning, commercial building cleaning or a Laundromat, for example.

Step2

Explore the business opportunities that can be offered in the sector of your choice. Understand the market trends, local competitors, current rates, profit margin and assess your investment options.

Step3

Decide whether you want your cleaning business to be a part-time or a full time business. You will need to put in extra effort if this is your primary source of income.

Step4

Verify your financial resources. Check all bank accounts, deposits, shares or any other sources of income and get a fair insight about your financial status. This will give you an idea of your investment capacity at the moment.

Step5

Understand that you can start with minimal investment. This type of business does not demand heavy investment in equipment, instructional courses, maintenance and extravagant set ups. You can actually start the operation from home (or hire a small office, if you can) with a few basic cleaning supplies like brooms, mops, cleaning solutions and vacuum cleaners. You may also need a vehicle to commute workers and materials to the cleaning destination. If you are planning on starting a Laundromat, you may want to rent a bigger area to store washing machines and dryers as well as need more investment to purchase the equipment.

Step6

Determine the legal formalities that you need to comply with before starting the business. You may need documents such as a license or insurance from the government or your local authorities.

Step7

Hire and train the cleaning staff. The number of them depends on your budget and your requirement. You can hire more employees when the business expands.

Step8

Start with just one type of service such as residential cleaning or carpet cleaning. Do not offer a range of services unless you have the capability and resources. You can expand with related services later.

Step9

Advertise your name and the service. You can place ads in local newspapers, circulate pamphlets in the neighborhood, hand out business cards, ask your friends and family to spread the word and put up notices at public places.

Step10

Ensure that you offer the best cleaning services. Get in touch with your customers, understand their likes and dislikes, make it a point to get their feedback regarding your work and also attend to their complaints.

# Consider setting up an alliance with other cleaning agencies in your neighborhood. This way, your work would not be compromised during situations like illnesses, excess workload, less staff members or vehicle breakdown.

# Hire a professional to prepare a great looking brochure or advertisement. Try to attract those customers who probably would not hire your services since they’d rather do it on their own. Looking at your enticing advertisement, they may be willing to give it a go.

# Do not ignore your existing and regular customers in favor of the newer ones. The regulars are bringing recurring business and will give you better word of mouth publicity.

My sister and I have our own seasonal cleaning business at our lake house in the summer. We do work including picking sticks up and washing windows, to daily/weekly house cleaning. We have about 7 or 8 steady clients(weekly) and many others who need us less often(monthly). We charge about $10 an hour each. Seeing as we are only 14 and 13, I think that you can charge higher, like 15-20 dollars an hour. It might be a good idea to start lower although; many people would rather pay less at first, to see how thoroughly and hard you work. After establishing good connections, you can raise the price.

*Advice*- (I don't mean to sound rude and you don't have to listen to me)... If you've never had a cleaning business before- make sure you don't take forever to clean the house- people want someone who cleans faster opposed to someone who makes the house immaculate and perfect

Source(s): My sister and I have had our business for 3 years now
  • Bert R

You don't say whether it is residential or commercial, but either way, the easiest answer is for you to call around to other cleaning companies and pretend to be a potential customer. Have the questions you want answered about charges/tasks written out. This should give you an idea. Try to get sq.foot charges, not hourly.

Do you need more information and resources and tips on starting a cleaning business? I made a squidoo lens and blog all about starting. They have tips on getting customers, winning the bid, tips from the pros and more. The links are in My Profile.