Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What are your views on physician assisted suicide?

I am writing a paper on physician assisted suicide and how it is legal in a few places. I need opinions to put into my paper. So, how do you feel about PAS?

Thank you for your comments:)

Best Answer

Last year, according to the America Medical Association web site, over 786,000 people died of physician assisted deaths in America. It was due to taking legally doctor prescribed FDA approved drugs and medical mistakes. 106,000 of those were from giving patients drugs in hospitals by doctors for the illnesses they had.

These deaths, most likely, were not intentional suicides, but nevertheless, were suicides caused by doctors. So to add a few additional ones to the list would not be significant, statistically. The only real difference is that the person would be informed he was going to die from taking the drugs and not expect to wake up.

good luck to you

Source(s): CNT, B.A. biology & chemistry advanced nutritional research

I feel that it should be legal in all states. I believe that if someone has a terminal condition and there is no hope for survival and the only way they are living is by being all doped up on drugs what kind of life is that. I believe that the quality of life is more important than the quantity of life. A lot of people keep their loved ones on medications and life support for their own selfish reasons. I think that is wrong. If I am diagnosed with a disease or condition that I know I will only suffer more as time goes on I would like to have the option of ending it quickly and painlessly. We are bale to have our pets put down why can't we do it for adults as well?

• enn

A few years ago, a favorite but elderly actor received a diagnosis of an untreatable cancer that had advanced to the point where surgery would not cure him. He went home and shot himself in the head rather than suffer drawn-out pain.

My father was a vegetable from the ravages of advanced cancer in the last 6 weeks of his life. Had he really been given a choice, he would have chosen immediate death to the extensive and long-term suffering he went through while we watched helplessly. My mom doesn't believe in suicide because she started out Catholic, I argue that the martyrs and soldiers who stepped forward to choose death so that others would be spared is equally suicide besides being heroic.

Death is merely the crossing over from physical existence to the metaphysical. If was really so terrible, millions of people wouldn't be doing it.

My own personal opinion is that I would much prefer to have my own death be my own choice, not at the hands of someone else. MY life - my death. I do NOT want some idiot with a gun deciding it's MY time to die at his hands. I want the choice of my own death in my own hands, not someone else's. For this reason I support Physician-Assisted Suicide.

A very controversial issue. The answer for anyone but the involved parties would be a clear matter of human life being so valuable it cannot be prematurely ended. But when a patient clearly and consciously expresses his will to die, without being affected by a mental disorder (such as depression), that person is experiencing such a great amount of suffering he does not wish to endure it, and as physicians we have all at one time felt sympathetic to these patients plights. Is it really our right to refuse a person the benefit of dying the way he/she wants to? For those of us who have had the luck of becoming close to a patient in the terminal phase of an illness, what we might have learned in regard to ethics becomes secondary to the feeling of having the power to help someone you care about. But it is also true that a doctor's judgment is not infallible nor absolute, so we must at all times abide by the laws established by society.

Source(s): Personal experience
  • earls

in case you ever observed everyone you cared for heavily suffering, you would be attentive to the respond. In some ailments, there comes a ingredient while even the main effective discomfort drugs isn't assisting. those everybody is in misery and begging to die. i think of at this ingredient, with their consent, that's greater advantageous than ok - that's humane.

• LILAC

I thought it was legal,only if they are 100% sure the patient has no chance of recovery,(ie,brain damage etc.)and is being kept alive by machines only and has the consent of a family member.And the patient has no chance of making a rational decision on their own.

As long as the person gives consent for it.

I don't think it's right. Asking someone to kill you? I don't know. It just doesn't seem ethical. Your giving someone a right to commit murder. Regardless of whether a patient gives their consent or not, it's still murder. Is there another word for killing someone? No, right?

On the other hand, if I was to decide I wanted to end my life, it would definitely be convenient to have someone do it for me.