Navy Federal Credit Union or USAA?

Opinions please. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

That depends on what you want. Navy Federal only offers banking products (bank accounts, loans, credit cards, mortgages) and they have affiliations with companies that offer investments & auto and life insurance. Their mortgages usually have the best rates & fees of anything else out their. They have a variety of credit cards to meet different needs. Their "Active Duty" checking account refunds ATM fees up to a certain amount each month. It is nice that they have locations all over the country.

USAA offers all sorts of insurance (homeowners, renters, auto, life, liability) as well the the usual bank offerings through USAA Federal Savings Bank and investments through USAA Investment Management Company. They have excellent products and great customer service. Their auto loans automatically include total protection, meaning that the loan will be paid in full if the auto is totalled, even if it is worth less than the balance due on the loan. Their checking account refunds ATM fees as well. They don't have any physical branches but they make it easy to do business with them online or through the mail.

You won't go wrong with either choice, and the decision depends on your individual circumstances and what product you are considering.

I use USAA, however Navy federal credit union typically has banks that you physically go to in more parts of the country than USAA does. USAA is great with insurance, my in-laws love NFCU.

I like Navy Federal. Been with them 27 years. USAA I use for auto/home insurance. Both are good for what they do, but I'm biased in favor of Navy Federal.

Navy FCU...it's been the number #1 credit union for a long time and still at it. I had them for over 10 years and wouldn't change any other bank.

Source(s): SSgt/USMC

I am a member of both; and both of them are Great Financial Institutions (I don't normally say that about any companies).

I like Navy Fed a bit more, since I can go in and talk with the representatives face-to-face. It has a bit better rates to finance my car as well.

USAA is great for insurances (auto, home etc...), investment, and it was convenient to get in touch with when I was overseas.

Source(s): EOD1, USN.

Don't know anything about Navy Federal, but we have USAA and I think it's great.

We have our homeowners insurance through them, as well as the insurance for our cars.

They have great customer service. I was rear-ended a few years back, and they helped us in dealing with the other driver's insurance company. They were very sincere and up front, and they have always been very easy to deal with.

Their rates are reasonable too.

• NWIP

NFCU has branches open on just about all bases now including many overseas so that is a good option if you like to actually go into the bank and talk to someone or see instant deposits in your account. They have a similar home buying program as USAA. they offer credit cards, investments, loans, mortgages, etc... AD members can get an account where ATM fees are refunded as well. It is open to your family members as well such as parents, siblings, children, spouse, etc..

USAA you have to mail in your deposits as the only bank they have is in San Antonio, TX. They do offer the online option for deposits but to do so you must have a credit card, loan or insurance through them. It can take many days for the deposits to go through if you mail them. They do have refunded ATM fees each month because there is no branches available. They have insurance, loans, mortgage, credit cards, etc... to offer you.

NFCU I have found over the years is a wonderful bank, never had any major problems myself.

Navy Fed for sure. I had them, and LOVED them. Never had any issues and they were always super helpful.

Any credit union is better than a bank though, IMO.

That is the one problem with USAA that I have, the not being able to go to a branch. When we used NFCU, my husband's pay always went in at midnight unless we were overseas, then it went in two days earlier.

That's right