Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What if Americans actually got to decide where their tax money was spent?

If Americans were given a list of all the things our government spends (wastes) money on, and told that they NOW have the option of deciding what percentage of their taxes go to each program......where do you think most Americans would prefer to see their money go?

Update:

SIDE NOTE: When the top 50% of income earners pay 98% of the taxes in this country, do you think liberals would actually go along with tax PAYERS getting a say in how THEIR tax money is spent?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The taxpayers should be able to choose the agencies of government that they do not want their taxes to go to. This would enable persons who are oppose to war as a matter of moral belief to support some other agency with the money that would go to the military. Other people may want more money spent on the environment. Others may choose to have more money go to health and research on diseases. This would result in government that is directly funded by taxpayers choices. Everyone may not choose to do this but this option should be available to those who strongly support of strongly oppose specific areas of funding.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Are you for smaller govt? If so, something like this would never make the govt smaller, but make it grow. An agency would have to be created to oversee the parceling out of tax money. It would be highly complicated to implement such policy.

• 1 decade ago

I'd love to see that happen. I'd parcel about 40% of my taxes to education, 40% to healthcare, 15% to infrastructure projects, and 5% to defense.

• Kev
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Wow, great idea. It will let the social consciousnesses better direct resources rather than the special interest groups getting bigger bonuses for there CEO's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This money was forcibly taken from citizens through the threat of prison, and if you resist you will be slaughtered like a pig in a hailstorm of bullets.

Why do people still claim its "their" money. Its not.

• 1 decade ago

we do get to decide by voting

that is true...9 of the 10 richest states in the Union are Blue states.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

to programs supporting their local state... we here in San Diego would be doin fine, buddy boy, but it'd be horrible for all the red-staters :)

Source(s): Oh and lots of Liberals are in the top income brackets, I hope you're just trying to make a false generalization to be funny... you do realize that not all or even most of the richest are cons, right?
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.