• Science & Mathematics >
  • Chemistry
  • Science & Mathematics >
  • Chemistry

Something that will dissolve wax?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I want ideas about some things that will dissolve wax that is: #1. Flammable. I can take up the wax from my old candles, or the cheap wax I can find around, and dissolve it to make ...show more
Update : I'm not using the "fuel" in an engine btw. The liquid ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Wax is a non-polar substance, so it can only be dissolved with non-polar substances. Di-ethyl ether is a non-polar solvent that is also highly flammable. Unfortunately, it is also very toxic. In fact, aside from fire, there really aren't any good non-toxic ways to dissolve wax. Hope this helps.

Source:

Asker's rating & comment

3 out of 5
More informative. Guess I'll just leave it as it is for now.
  • 0
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (1)

• lateda1000 answered 6 years ago
    You would not want to run a wax through an engine. Wax is a higher molecular weight material that even though it will burn, it will not burn like gasoline. The wax will gum up your engine. By dissolving the wax, you are only solvating it and not breaking it down, so if you burn the solution, the wax will still not burn cleanly and will leave residue in the engine. As for removing wax from apples, I have had good luck with the store bought fruit cleaners.
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • Something that will dissolve wax?
    I want ideas about some things that will dissolve wax that is:

#1. Flammable. I can take up the wax from my old candles, or the cheap wax I can find around, and dissolve it to make some kind of fuel I could somehow use.

#2. Nontoxic. I'm concerned how apples are waxed to be made shiny, so if possible I could dissolve the wax off of them. I don't want it to be toxic 'cuz obviously I want to eat the apple afterwards, and I don't want it to be dangerous for the environment. I could try to salvage the wax collected to be used in candlemaking or fuel (see #1).

Thanks for your input. Constructive answers only.
    Sign In 

to add your answer

1

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock