Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

What are the seven races of man?

I'm just interested because my grandmother who is Irish Catholic said she was taught about the seven races of man in school and when I told her I'd never heard of that, she looked at me funny. I can't find anything about it on the web, so maybe it's being covered up. It can't be too ancient. She went to a boarding school near Dublin during WWII, so it should be pretty standard textbook material.

I found four races, five races, 16 races, but no seven races of mankind. Have you heard of this or been taught this is school? What are the seven races of man?

Marixel. That's nice. But truth be told, there are differences in mankind identifiable by ethnicity which help associations categorize and quantify with migrations, adaptations, languages, and medical differences. The more we know, the better. I also am not racist, understanding I live in the new world of a unified culture where race should have no social importance. but I am not stupid either. It does have medical and scientific importance. Your comment almost makes me want to appear racist to differentiate myself from you because you so ardently oppose acknowledging differences in skin tones.

Sharon P.... did Yahoo answers just censor *******? N3gr0!d ?..... THIS IS SILLY!

I was thinking about that, Nola. But then I though about the Indians/ Iranians, indigenous peoples- even between indigenous you've got the inuits and the amazonians. And lately I learned that only 5 peoples developed distinct writing systems about the same times: Indus Valley, Chinese, Mesopotamia, Egyptian Phoenician, Mesoamerica. Maybe these are the races? Who knows. But that three race thing seems very Biblical to me with the 3 sons of Noah and the tribes and all.

Favorite Answer

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo,violet.

In the same sense as colors not being distinct and separate, the "races" of man aren't distinct and separate. Certain lineages certainly exist, with their peculiar traits, but even these traits are too scattered about to be really decisive.

The Bible only dealt with the range of types they were familiar with in the middle east. Human variation came first, then the mythology about what caused it.

7 Races Of Humans

The Ethiopian(N-e-g-r-o-i-d) race is predominantly located in Africa and USA, and is especially characterized by black skin colour and an above average muscle capacity, there are also numerous distinctive facial features.

Subraces of the Ethiopian race include:

Nilotic race, the Sudanic race, the Bantu race, the Pygmy race, and the Khoisan

The Mongoloid race is predominantly located in East Asia(China, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Philiphines, Indonesia, Burma, Nepal, Bhutan and parts of India), and is especially characterized by black hair, narrow eyes, and a shorter stature than those of the other races(apart from the Australoids).

Subraces of the Mongoloid race include:

Uralic race, the Altaic race, the Sino-Tibetan race, the Tai race, the Austroasiatic race, the Malayan race (those people now called Austronesians), the Paleosiberian race, the Eskimo race, and the American Indian race.

The Caucasian race is predominantly located in Europe(all countries in Europe), parts of Oceania(The urbanised parts of Australia and New Zealand) and North America(USA and Canada), the middle east(Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait) . It is especially characterized by a tall stature, a wide variety of hair and eye colour, fair/pale skin and amongst some; the ability to blush.

Subraces of the Caucasian race include:

Nordic, Mediterranean, Alpine, Dinaric, East Baltic, Arabid, Turanid, Iranid and Armenoid.

The Australoid race is predominantly located in central Australia and Sri Lanka(known there as the "vedda" people). they are characterized by a very small stature, dark skin and black hair.

Different from other things here, a mythology I have heard says there are seven races that developed from one. One day these people with tails realized that they existed. They travelled in a spiral collecting food. The spiral got quite large and each of the families traveling together felt an affinity for certain directions of travel and established themselves in different areas of the globe. I have the Roman names for these races and some of them I have the names thet they called themselves. (1) America via landbridge by Alaska: Savage, native Americans.*yellow* (2) Asia: Goblins, Called themselves Brahman.*red* (3, 4, 5) Africa: 3 races. Pigmys aka (Dwarfs)*orange*, Giants*blue* and Ogres*indigo*. (6) Northern Europe: Trolls Called themselves Trolski. *violet* (7) Europe: Elves, called themselves the Sidhe (pronounced "shee").*green*

Another race by itself emerged from the middle east. They had been alone since their coming to be. We are all one big family tree now.

I have never heard of seven. I thought there was three. Mongloid, ******* and Caucasoid.(Based on bone structure of the face I think). I would really love to know what your grandmother was taught. Perhaps you can ask her and post it here.

atticism - I am trying to figure that out myself. If I refresh the page they sometimes put ****** and sometimes the word appears. Perhpas they haven't taken any Anthropology classes!

After looking on the net a bit I think your grandmother's info is Biblically based . http://christianparty.net/man.htm However I have read the Bible and seemed to have missed or not understood it the same way.

• icabod

It's part of Theosophy philosophy.

The "races" are similar to "human race" They are Delonite; Urbursite, Nebonite, Avonite, Avisite, Sabite, The Seventh Race of Mankind aka The Heptite, The Sorceror. In this they all seemed to live at the same time but in different regions and had different skills.

However I also found listing of "5 root races" and another list of "Seven races" but that lived one after another,

All this is wrapped with with Atlantis, Lemuria, and the Christian Party.

It appears the racial races aren't the seven and neither are the Egyptians et al

Read for yourself. I wasn't impressed

Irresponsible pseudoscience pressured by politics and social bias forced early scientist to attempt to classify people based on phenotypic expression (outward features). There is only one race the human race. We are the same biologically. There are innumerable variations of what is called human. No one knows where these variations begin or where they end. Look it up for your self at the American Anthropological Association. Separation by "race" is completely social terminology and not based on science.

The categorizations (while seemingly clean cut and organizaed) are actually only as clear as our racial-bias in terms of the tendency to homogenize people will certain cimilarities. for example, americans tend to percieve the differences between different asian people to be smaller than the asians themselves. in fact, the somatic features are far to great between particular people, and not between groups, in addition to the extyreme genetic similarity between all human beings. just remember, theres different ways to view the race schema

From Johann Friedrich Blumenbach White, Yellow, Polynesian, Black, Red; then two more with Australian Aborigines and Capoid a subdivision of black. This info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_race_conce...

Marixel ..

we are not a race.. we are a species. and within our species there are 3 races .. black white and asian .. or *******, Caucasoid and Mongoloid

----------

damn.. they did it to me too.. we should contact yahoo and state that n e g r o i d is a scientific term ..

dumb a s s e s