Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Do you eat expired food?

The reason I ask is because my father-in-law knows someone who works at WinnDixie and when things expire he gets to take boxes and boxes of food home. My FIL started getting some and now he is trying to give some to us. How long past the date would you eat things? Would it depend on what type of food it is? Today he gave us a pack of Toll-house Ready-to-bake cookies that expired March 31st. Should I cook them?

• beth
    Favorite Answer

My husband and I always debate this :) My opinion is that it depends on the product. I follow my nose when it comes to dairy or meat products. Sometimes they go bad before the expiry date. Bread products go stale or mouldy. I would go ahead and cook your ready-to-bake cookies. They probably have alot of preservatives, plus I grew up eating old pastry items. My dad worked at a grocery store.

The dates on the packaged food are always put ahead by some time. Its not like at that set time the food will spoil. Eating it a few days after is perfectly fine if it is sealed or kept refrigerated/frozen. Plus, cooking the cookies can kill off most bad things, so worst case they will just taste a little different

all excluding meat and a good amount of dairy

cookies are fine

When it comes to canned foods theoretically they will last forever because there is no live bacteria inside the can to spoil the food but after a while the food looses its shape and disintegrates and it will lose its flavor. To answer the question 1 to 2 years for canned goods. Things like cookies spoil rapidly so I would not eat them much past the expire date.

It really depends on the food. Never eat any dairy, meats or anything with eggs in it like cake mixes or those ready to bake cookies you mentioned Expired foods can cause food-borne illnesses and normally don't taste the best and smells funny. So watch out for those expiration dates and don't anything that doesn't smell or look right to you.

Items that are frozen or sealed should be fine for a while after the expiration date. After a product is opened is loses life quickly.

You should feel free to eat those cookies...enjoy them, because you will not be able to tell a difference

the way something smells is always a tell tale sign, especially if the scent is out of the ordinary.

• Adoc

I don't usually eat anything once it reaches the expiration date. A lot of times I don't even eat certain things a day or two before the expiration date - eggs & milk.

I wouldn't cook the cookies, since they have egg in them. But if it was just packages of like oreos or something then I would probably taste and see if they were stale and eat them if they weren't.

id give it a shot!

Source(s): ive drank milk thats expired by a couple days but it was kept real cold

NO..!!!! what if u get food poisoning..!!! but def dont... just in case