Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

Is there a lower chance of getting into acting if i don't live in the city?

I live in Vancouver, Canada. And I've already been acting for a while, but would there be better opprotunities if I were to go to, lets say, LA or NY?

• A
    Best Answer

YES. If you're trying to act you need to immerse yourself in it, and that would only happen if you lived somewhere where you can do that. NY or LA. There you can become acquainted with the theater, other actors and actresses, build contacts, and find out who else you need to contact to do some theater work and build a reputation.

Of course this is why you always here about the girl with a dream that runs off to hollywood and goes nowhere. On the other hand there is a lot more opportunity in these places to give it a chance and prove yourself. Now also if not living in these areas, it is important to build your portfolio the best you can with what you got. good luck champ

Source(s): me

There is less of a chance of being noticed,

but where you live does not effect your talent.

Many actresses and actors are from smaller towns, that travel to bigger cities to get noticed.

So if you are trying to get into the business you may need to do some research on where you can be discovered.

Most likely yes, because a lot of the big shot producers and talent scouts live in LA, so you'd have a better shot of getting noticed there.

If your really serious go to new york for a year or so and enroll in the neighborhood playhouse, http://www.neighborhoodplayhouse.org/

also it would be of interest to look into becoming a member of sag

http://www.sag.org/ i've heard from a friend of mine who is an actor, you are taken more serious this way.... as well as having dancing and other skills and a good resume... good luck to you :)

in my opinion i think you may be recognized in LA more then in Canada but I can be wrong but just like try out for many different parts of movies or plays then you can get recognized.

Source(s): my opinion

theres a posiblity

since auditions are key things, there 98% of the time held in the city where there are a lot of people

There will be more oppurtunities. . . not necessarily better ones, but it's likely, since there will be more, if that makes sense.

You don't have to move to get these parts. . . but usually you'll have to go to those cities to audition for them, so most people find it easier to just move.

Source(s): I know lots of actors :)

I hope not.... but Johnny Depp was from a small town in Florida so i might still have a chance....

not if you are willing to travel to big cities... and if you are putting yourself out there i dont see how it could be harder?