At what point do you call news reporters or news commentators "unpatriotic"?

(can you think of any examples?)

Or do you simply feel they have the right to slant their reports and create false impressions that hurt our relationships with other countries?

Favorite Answer

Owners & Editors have their views made public by compliant reporters.

William Randolph Hearst: News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising.

~

My view is that any of them are as patriotic as they feel they are. I can't view into someones heart and understand whether they love their country or not.

That being said, having worked for the federal government for 17+ years, and having had inside perspectives on some major items being reported in the news of the day I have come to a simple conclusion.

All news broadcasts and newspapers in the US are biased.

I have seen one basic fact when released to broadcast and newspapers being spun into mounds of inaccurate speculation in various directions based on the editorial bias of the producer/publisher. Having the inside picture it is amazing how wrong they can all be in their own biased ways.

It is also very much a case of if it bleeds it leads. In the big picture news reporting in the US is not about reaching the truth, it is about gathering viewers/readers to sell advertising to make money for companies. It's a business which understands they need to produce a product that consumers want to buy. I don't blame the media in this sense, but I do point to the consumers because they are in this case being given just what they want.

If you want to change the problems with the nature of news reporting in the US, then stop being the source of the problem. Don't consume the inaccurate product in favor of the sensational, and they will be forced to change to follow the market.

p.s. it is possible for someone to love their country, but to still not agree with the direction in which the polititians are trying to move the country.

I hope this helps.

Source(s): Agnostic who understands the unknown can not be proved.

We used to get CBC on DTV, but the Channel was sold to Al Gore. I really miss it. I like BBC, but don't watch it much.

I think the reporters I watch are mostly lazy and not doing their job - CNN and MSNBC. I can't bear to watch Fox News, but I am sure there are plenty of unpatriotic reporters there. Most reporters don't even seem to do their homework, they are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors from other sources. It's all about TV ratings. The more scandal and inflamed rhetoric, the higher the ratings.

Right now you have politicians trying to do the same - Dick Cheney has been spreading sedition recently. Today it is Newt Gingrich and that awful Frank Gaffney who are distorting the news.

This is rather touchy. There are investigative reporters putting their lives on the line to bring news to people. Some of them have been illegally detained by the government. This is highly unpatriotic of the government.

I'd need an example of what you mean, to tell you the truth.

Have you seen the documentary The End of America?

• I would humbly suggest that Americans get their news from other sources besides their regular cable providers and have a look at CBC or BBC as well. You will get a more rounded account of what is really going on in the world.

More and more of American "news casts" is more entertainment oriented than the straight dry news that actually attempts to inform the viewer. And respect that their viewers have critical thinking and can reach their own conclusions.

Patriotism is immaterial.

While reporting news might be a calling for an individual, it is not so with the news complex.... at least in the US.

Its a business. Thus, its about dollars, not ideals.

• john

I totally concur with RSJ if more Americans would refer to other sources internationally we would be a lot better off in the political arena than we are now. Americans would realize two things, there is more to the world than the U.S.A. and how biased our mainstream media is.

Jim Cramer..he is unpatriotic.

Jon Stewart gave him a patriotic ***-whooping.

I think Cramer is a good example here..

I think too many "newscasters" want to put their own spin on what is going on. That's why I watch BBC news. I even watched on 9/11.

I think the Jane Fonda coverage during Vietnam fit that definition.