emma, ^_^ xo asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

i dont know whats wrong with me?

right, im 16, 132lbs, i eat healthily between 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day, exercise atleast 30 minutes,

i'm really quite depressed at the moment, alot going on so i can't sleep properly at night, i keep breaking down and am just a mess, i feel sick every day, im fed up with everything, i feel so lethargic all the time,

what can i do to give me more energy? i feel so drained all the time and like, even when im with ym mates i cant find the energy to do much, im sick of feeling like this, i dont know whats wrong

any suggestions?

xo

Favorite Answer

Hi, ive also felt like this in the past. But know it wont last foreva its just a bad time in your life. Just keep going and dont give up, you said there is stuff going on which is making you depressed this is why your feeling so lethargic.

Try and have a routine, like try going to bed at the same time every night even if your not going asleep, just get in bed and read a book and listen to a talk radio station, or play on a PSP or DS, this is what i do. Dont worry what time it is, just get comfortable and relax and when you feel tired switch off the light and fall asleep.

Try this for about a week and see if you feel any diffrent. Try to keep active for most of the day, when you have some free time try not to just sit on the sofa infront of the t.v, keep your mind active.

Hope this helps, good luk, hope your feeling better soon xx

Puberty probably plays a large role in how you are feeling. At your age, it is normal for your thoughts and feelings to be all over the place.

You appear to be leading a healthy lifestyle so physically, you are fine. No worries there.It is just those mental thoughts that you need to get in check.

Start by getting a good nights sleep. That should help a great deal. Sleep deprived girls are incredibly grouchy and unpleasant to be around.

You may also benefit from exercising more. Whilst 30 minutes a day is better then nothing, it is still not a lot and exercise is beneficial both physically and mentally. There is also a theory that the endorphins it releases make you feel good.

As for feeling "drained" all the time. The key is to make an effort. Rather then tagging along and doing nothing whilst you are in the company of your friends, make the effort to fit in. Talk and socialize - before you know it you will be having a great time.

Source(s): 16 year old little sister.

The first thing that I would suggest is to give your sleep a much higher priority. If you don't then you will continue to have problems.

Eating a healthy balanced diet is also important.

Cafienne stays in your system for 5 hrs and disturbs sleep, so drinks caffienne free drinks in the evening.

Any A-Z multivit won't harm you if you think that your diet is defficient. However certain unhealthy foods will make you lethargic even if yu are getting you vitamins.

Low G.I. foods will give you energy more evenly throughtout the day. They are preferable to sugary food which gives you a burst of energy before leaving you lethargic .

Timetable your days so that you have adequate rst breaks. If you are full on for long periods your brain will try and shut down and rest when you don't want it to. Some people like a power nap after lunch.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/eighttipssec...

Get as much sun as you can. The human brain and body reacts positively to sunlight. Sunlight will always lift your mood, so get outside as much as you can during the day, and don't hide behind the curtains.

That's good you exercise at least. I also suffer from this extreme exhaustion and I think a lot of it is mental. But for the physical aspects - you could take vitamins. One multi-vitamin and Vitamin B is really good for energy levels. I also bought a blender and a juicer. The juicer is incredible - I put some strawberries, oranges, carrots in there and it is the healthiest drink in the world and gives me a lot of energy. Last thing - try to get out and into the sun more - that helps as well. Good luck and take care.

I think your answer is right in your question. You're not eating meals, unless youre forced? This is why you're not gaining. Because you're not eating. Your body requires all types of nutrients to build muscle OR fat. To gain any type of weight, it needs more than just sugar. As for the being thirsty part, drip some water on a pile of sugar (what you say you've been stuffing yourself with) Then do it to, say, a full plate of lasagna or other meat. Normal food might soak up water a little bit, but a lot of food already has lots of water in it. Sugar does not, and it's only soaking up all the water that's inside you, making you incredibly thirsty.

I have suffered from severe social anxiety and depression for a number of years. Ive spent days on end wrapped in a blanket on my couch so I know how you feel. Its great to see you exercise already. I found from researching that exercise and relaxation techniques are the key to feeling brighter. I started keeping fit, I would run 5 days a week and use relaxation methods I learnt from the linden method everyday. I got myself to real high level of fitness and have competed in local 5-7km fun runs. You will see a great improvement in your levels of energy you will sleep better as well if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

Source(s): The Linden Method - http://www.anxietyhelpguides.info

I can't give you any suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I feel exactly the same at the moment, so you are not alone.

I have just gone back on anti-depressants and hope things improve, but I can't sleep and lack energy too.

I hope you feel better soon hun

xoxo

Source(s): Me

Hi emma, i'd take a wee trip to your doc.. . . .could be many thing's from depression, anaemic or evn diabeties. So get checked out as the worry won't be doing you any favour's. .. Good luck babes and i hope it's something minor thats causing you concern. . Chelle x x x

Sounds like hypoglycemia, hon. Many people have it and don't know it. Please look it up and study thoroughly; left untreated it can be completely devastating. Good news is it can be managed wonderfully through nutrition and fitness that works specifically for you. My husband and I both have it and are new people since we figured it out.

Source(s): Wonderful doctors and nurses I know, books, etc.