Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between environmental engineering and environmental science?

When choosing a program to study in the U. Can you explain the differences please?

Favorite Answer

Environmental Science is a very board major and it really depends on what your concentration is in.

First Environmental Science is different from Environmental Studies.

ES is the combination of gelogy, chemistry, biology, and at some schools even physics. Depending on your interest. Basically one these majors mixed with some environmental courses

Environmental Engineering has to do with the design of technologies to improve the environment. Its the application of science and engineering combined.

An average sample of bothe degrees...different schools will vary in classes taken.

**The major difference is an Environmental Science degree will include usually

Calcalus 1 and 2

Physics 1 and 2

Chemisrty 1 and 2 and Organic Chemistry

Then in your junior and senior year ...tons of environmental classes depending on your interest

An Environmental Engineering degree

Calculus 1 through Diff Equations

Physics 1 and 2

Chemistry 1 and 2

Then tons of Engineering Science classes

ex. Dymanics, Fluid and Soil Mechanics ...to name a few

Environmental Engineering is a more technical degree than Environmental Science. With that being said Engineers are paid more

On the average Entry Level Environmental Scientist start at 40K

Environmental Engineers start around 50K

Last Point:

Engineering has a professional certification

Environmental Scientist dont

Scientist and Engineers work together but only engineers get to stamp and sign the project because of this certification that I was speaking of.

Go with engineering

the difference between the two is the same as a Physician and a Nurse A lil more technical degree I'm guessing a Environmental Technology degree is like an associate degree. You can get a BS in anything you want Usually engineering students that come from 2 year schools have Calculus one through Diff Equations Physics I and II Chemistry I and II Engineering Design class Statics Dynamics Mechanics of Material Science students Calculus I Physics I Chemistry I and II Organic Chemistry I and II and some intro environmental classes that you should have taken My point is to go with engineering...it will be harder but it will pay off

environmental engineers make more money and have better job opps