Are Japanese people really Han Chinese that left China a long time ago?

Many of them look Han to me, plus, many of the traditional clothes etc, are similar

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No.

It's true that you can find stories in history when Ancient China send people to Japan. But to think these small groups created the Japanese population is far too ridiculous. Long before that, there are original inhabitants living in Japanese islands. With the development of civilisation, people from neighbouring areas tend to move from one place to another. The Yamato (99% of Japanese population) has its origins from Han, Korean, Tungus, Indochine, Malasian etcs. Most of these ethnics indeed travelled from the mainland Asia (currently China), coz Japan is a country on islands. But we cannot simply say Japanese people are actually Han Chinese people. (We cannot say either that we are actually all South African people becoz our ancestors were from Africa :p )

You cannot judge only from limited folk customs / traditions in terms of ethnology. Because ethnic change process is much longer and generally unorganised. The reason why Japanese tradition is very similar to Han tradition is more based on cultural communication between Ancient China and Japan. They learnt quite a lot from China since the time China was in one of her most prosperous time.

p.s. If you're interested in learning more about the differences between various ethnics in the world, I recommend Lewis Henry Morgan's works. I remember somewhere he wrote clearly about Han and Yamato.

• 6 years agoReport

You are in fact in correct my friend! China, Korea, and Nippon are the same people! SINO! We all write Chinese: Hanja in Korea and Kanji in Japan and China has 56 ethnicities as well as their provincial languages.

• Leona
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Long ago! Therefore Mao Tse was a filo? Why then he got a big tummy? Oooh that's why in the 75 he wants to invade the Philippines along with Thailand and Malaysia. Okay, I believe you, but I have to convince myself and take medicine for that. I will drink champ tonight. I should dance for that news.

• TC
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No

They have some common ancestry and there has been extensive interbreeding, but it would be wrong to say that the Japanese are descendants of the Han people of China.

• 1 decade ago

No, but Japan did receive ALOT of its culture from China's Tang dynasty.

And it is true that 1000 boys and girls were sent to Japan during the Qing dynasty as they were sent to find a fountain of immortality. Since such a thing does not exists, and failure was tantamount to death, they stayed.

But no, no Han. I think your referering to that racist joke that Japan was started when a Han princess escaped to Japan and was raped by a monkey.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • abc123
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The Japanese came from China but left a long time ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mizuki Serene you don't know anything. Japanese basically modeled their culture, city building, language, arts, martial arts, music, clothing, traditions, and religion after the Chinese. And you dare to say they have different physiognomy features? LMAO. That's the absurdest thing I have ever heard. Check these..

Japanese people -

http://www.thebizofknowledge.com/uploads/japanese....

http://www.trocadero.com/Kris/items/47908/picture1...

Chinese people

http://www.flickr.com/photos/louberry/489124451/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zsoolt/2705888729/

They look the same to me.

"The earliest Japanese thoughts do not refer to a unified religion. The word Shinto was borrowed from the Chinese (神道),[1] combining two kanji: "shin" (神 ?), meaning gods or spirits; and "tō" (道 ?), meaning a philosophical path or study (originally from the Chinese word tao). As such, Shinto is commonly translated as "The Way of the Gods." Modern Shinto is the result of a centuries-old syncretism with Buddhism, the legacy of which continues on despite a forced separation by the Meiji government."

You are just a Japanophile and Japanese Wannabe who knows nothing about history.

• 6 years agoReport

Japanese are Chinese or rather in Japan we say: Everything Japanese "IS" Chinese! If this is what you are saying then you are correct!

Oyasuminasai!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Edit: "Many of them look Han to me, plus, many of the traditional clothes etc, are similar"

No, that is blatantly false. Where did you get that from or did you just made it up? There is no historical evidence for that statement.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

The Nippon people are primarily Sino 98% to 99% and 2% Sakhlin/Aino or less than 2%. The is a mixture of about .05% Maylay in their/our/my DNA as well! The culture of the Nippon/Japanese can be traced through successive waves from Asia. The 3 main waves: Korea before the 3 Kingdoms of Pacheka, Silla, and Kogaryu. The Tang Dynasty from the 5th Century to the 8th or 9th Century when the Tang Dynasty collapsed. Kyoto ther Ancient Capital of Nippon is an exact copy of the Capital of the Tang Dynasty called Shang An (Chang An) and after the Kyoto renassaince was moved to Edo at modern day Tokyo. The word Karate actually means China Hand or Tang Fist. Tang Fist was actually brought from the Mountain of Wu Dang China from the Taoist Temples that practice Tai Chi, Baugua, and Hsing-I and their combat forms called Tai Kia, Pauqua Zen and Shingy-Po/Ho/Lo! The Temple practiced Wu Dang Tai the forerunner to Nippon Karate that is very fast. The last wave was the annexation of the Kingdom of Ryukyu.

The Three-Kingdom period, also known as the Sanzan period (三山時代 Sanzan-jidai?) (Three Mountains), lasted from 1322 until 1429. There was a gradual consolidation of power under the Sho family. Shō Hashi (1372–1439) conquered Chuzan, the middle kingdom, in 1404 and made his father, Sho Shi Sho, the king. He conquered Hokuzan, the northern kingdom in 1416 and conquered the southern kingdom, Nanzan, in 1429, thereby unifying the three kingdoms into the single Ryukyu Kingdom.[citation needed]

Sho Hashi was recognized as the ruler of the Ryukyu Kingdom (called the LooChoo Kingdom in Chinese) by the Emperor of China (during the Ming dynasty). He was presented with a red lacquerware plaque from the Emperor known as the Chuzan Tablet.[11] Although independent, the kings of the Ryukyu kingdom paid tribute to the rulers of China.

Ryūkyū Kingdom[edit]

Main article: Ryūkyū Kingdom

Ryūkyū Kingdom

琉球國

1429–1879 →

Flag Royal Seal

Capital Shuri

Languages Ryukyuan (native languages), Japanese

Religion native Ryukyuan religion, Buddhism, Confucianism, Shinto, Taoism

Government Monarchy

King (国王)

- 1429–1439 Shō Hashi

- 1477–1526 Shō Shin

- 1587–1620 Shō Nei

- 1848–1879 Shō Tai

Sessei (摂政)

- 1666–1673 Shō Shōken

Kokushi (国司)

- 1751–1752 Sai On

Legislature Shuri Ō-fu (首里王府), Sanshikan (三司官)

History

- Unification 1429

- Satsuma invasion April 5, 1609

- Prefecture reform 1871

- Annexed by Japan March 11, 1879

Area 2,271 km² (877 sq mi)

¹ Ming and Qing dynasties.

In 1429, King Shō Hashi completed the unification of the three kingdoms and founded one Ryūkyū Kingdom with its capital at Shuri Castle.[citation needed]

King Shō Shin

Shō Shin (尚真?)(1465–1526; r. 1477–1526) was the third king of the Second Sho Dynasty, whose reign has been described as the "Great Days of Chūzan", a period of great peace and relative prosperity. He was the son of Shō En, the founder of the dynasty, by Yosoidon, Shō En's second wife, often referred to as the queen mother. He succeeded his uncle, Shō Sen'i, who was forced to abdicate in his favor. Much of the foundational organization of the kingdom's administration and economy is traced back to developments which occurred during Shō Shin's reign. The reign of Shō Shin also saw the expansion of the kingdom's control over several of the outlying Ryukyu Islands, such as Miyakojima and Ishigaki Island.[citation needed]

Main article: Shō Shin

Many Chinese moved to Ryukyu to serve the government or engage in business during this period. The Ming dynasty Chinese sent from Fujian 36 Chinese families at the request of the Ryukyuan King to manage oceanic dealings in the kingdom in 1392 during the Hongwu Emperor's reign. Many Ryukuan officials were descended from these Chinese immigrants, being born in China or having Chinese grandfathers.[12] They assisted in the Ryukyuans in advancing their technology and diplomatic relations.[13][14][15]

Satsuma domination, 1609–1871[edit]

The invasion of the Ryūkyūs by the Shimazu clan of Satsuma took place in April 1609. Three thousand men and more than one hundred war junks sailed from Kagoshima at the southern tip of Kyūshū. The Ryūkyūans did not fight, due to the order of the king, who told them that “nuchidu takara” (life is a treasure). Many priceless cultural treasures were looted and taken to Kagoshima.[citation needed] As a result of the war, the Amami Islands were ceded to Satsuma, and the direct rule of Satsuma over the Amami Islands started in 1613.

After 1609, the Ryukyu rulers became vassals of the Shimazu. Though recognized as an independent kingdom,[16] the islands were occasionally also referred to as being a province of Japan.[17]

In the 17th century, the kingdom was both a tributary of China and a tributary of Japan. Because China would not make a formal trade agreement unless a country was a tributary state, the kingdom was a convenient loophole for Japanese trade with China. When Japan officially closed off trade with European nations except the Dutch, Nagasaki and Ryūkyū became the only Japanese trading ports offering connections with the outside world.[citation needed]

This period of effective outside control also featured the first international matches of Go, as Ryūkyūan players came to Japan to test their skill. This occurred in 1634, 1682, and 1710.[18][19]

The Shimazu introduced the policy of banning sword ownership by commoners. This led to the development of the indigenous martial art karate, which utilizes domestic items as weapons.[citation needed]

Perry's "black ships", official envoys from the United States, came in 1853.[20]

Mudan Incident of 1871 occurred, in which fifty-four Ryukyu people were killed in Taiwan. They wandered into the central part of Taiwan after their ship was wrecked.

The Japanese share over lapped history and mythologies as well with the Chinese! An example is the MYTH called a "A Journey to the West" with the Wu Kung and the 8 immortals!!!

Further proof other than literature, history, and writtings are art! If you notice the typical formal dress belt at the thoracic of China, Korea, and the Japanese are the same as from China! This art form traveled with the Sino people from Manchuko/Manchuria to the Korean Peninsula to the Islands of Japan!

Further proof of the Koreans and Japanese being Sino/Chinese is their written language. The Korean written language called Hanja is in fact Chinese while the written phonetics is pure Korean! Also the written lanuage of Japanese Kanji is Chinese as well! The Hiragana and Katagana are also phonetics "JUST LIKT THE KOREANS"!? In other words when the characters could not be found from China they were substituted provincially by spelled phonetics adjoined to existing Chinese Charaters!

THER IS A SAYING IN NIPPON/JAPAN! EVERYTHING JAPANESE "IS" CHINESE! WE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE JUST A DIFFERENT VILLAGE! Is an Irishman and a scottsman a different race?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.