Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Stopping power: 357 magnum vs 45 acp?

Using a 357 revolver with 4" barrel, or 45 acp with 5" barrel.

If you only had one bullet in each gun to shoot a psyco, drugged up criminal with, which gun would you choose between these two calibers (and why)?

repentant sinner, there is no reason for your nasty remarks.

I am only asking which round would be better for self defense if that kind of situation should occur. I live in Memphis, Tennessee, and in a fairly bad part of town (This condo is all I could afford).

By the way, I am 26 years old, so an age limit on the hunting section would not apply to me.

Thanks!!

Also, to repentant sinner, if you wasted so much of your precious time on this question, then why the ****did you even answer it?

• H
    Best Answer

I am a retired Texas Peace Officer. For the last thirteen years of my career as a street COP my duty automatic was a Glock Model 20 10mm w/Trijicon Nighsights and high capacity magazines. Why? Because of the possibility that in the execution of my duties I might one day encounter a scenario such as the one you have described. The 10mm does it all. It is good protection against two or four legged predators and other things that go bump-in-the-night. At a 100 yards the 10mm has as much power as the .45 acp does at the muzzle. It is ballistically similar to the old .41 Remington Magnum. Fear no evil.

(If my choice were between the .357 Magnum and the .45 acp I would reach for one of my .357 Magnum revolvers every time. Or my ballistically similar .357 Sig or .38 Super. I owned a .45 acp back when I was about your age and was never really impressed by the old, wide, heavy slow-moving round. Since I've stuck with handguns chambered for higher velocity rounds which perform better against barriers such as car glass, sheet metal and doors. This much I do know, a .45 acp performs nearly as well as the .357 Magnum against two-legged predators when barriers like those listed above or light body armor are not involved. With either one you will be well protected in the scenario you are describing. The .45 will give you a couple of more rounds. The revolver is less prone to malfunction).

H

• lesch

45 Vs 357

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Stopping power: 357 magnum vs 45 acp?

Using a 357 revolver with 4" barrel, or 45 acp with 5" barrel

Source(s): stopping power 357 magnum 45 acp: https://knowledge.im/?s=stopping+power+357+magnum+...

357 Vs 45

I will put home defense as being very simple: I own a 45 ACP, and keep it hidden and not available for intruders. I keep a loaded 357 on my side of the bed, and a 22 auto on my wife's side. My 357 is a Taurus tracker model, with hollow point cartridges, and my wife has a phoenix arms semi auto! If all hell breaks loose, her gun is to wake me up in worst case scenario. I believe a 40 Cal is the minimum in cartridge, for home protection. I saw a meth addict take a clip of 9mm and kept towards his mission. I am not promoting Taurus, since I have sold other guns of their brand after purchase, but this 357 is amazing! It is also a gun that if stolen, I wont cry over. I don't see a Meth problem where I live now, but want to protect my family if that type of person breaks into my house. The ammo is more expensive than lighter calibers, but the small frame, and short barrel keep me with a capable gun that hopefully I will never have to use! Just my 2 cents...

Not having used a 45 to take things down I don't know. I do KNOW from much experience a 357 is a good load. My personal defense gun is a cheap 357 wheel gun- that way if it gets stolen it's no big deal. Have always thought a 45 is a one shot pop. However, it will not penetrate walls or wooden doors like a 357. Also, an auto? keep it simple and safe.

• Lois

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/KtRXF

I would go with the .45 because you can carry more rounds in it and it has proven stopping power with manageable recoil which would be important in a home defense situation. If you don't plan on using it as a carry weapon, get a full size (Government) or 4" (Commander) model because that extra weight really helps with the recoil. If you live in an apartment, attached condo, etc. then the Magnum becomes a little more of a liability because there's an increased chance of killing your poor neighbor if you miss. The Magnum has more stopping power but the .45 ACP can still get the job done. I doubt you'll ever be outgunned against your typical home intruder thug. For ammo, the Hornady TAP-FPD line of hollow points are pretty good. Besides reliable expansion, they have a special powder that's designed to minimize muzzle flash which, as someone else pointed out, can be important at night. Federal and Cor-Bon are also good rounds. I've heard mixed reviews of Remington Golden Sabre. Stick with cheaper FMJ for practice and get the higher end hollow points for home defense.

The m1911 I carried in Panama saved my life, and probably some of my buddies lives as well. I have fired .357's and really like the power of the round, but I would rather the .45 acp pistol in a combat/ personal defense situation. I was well trained with the automatic and knew how to handle it, so I would naturally favor it over the .357. That being said, you could load a revolver in 1968...pull it out of the nightstand drawer in 2015 and it will more than likely take out any shitbag who would attempt to harm you and your family.

Both are perfectly good calibers for self defense. Most self defense calibers are at least 9mm, and no more than .45. What you decide should be based on what you personally prefer.

If you are fairly inexperienced I would recommend getting the .357 mag. That way you can practice with .38 specials which are cheaper and kick a lot less. Starting out with too big a caliber can cause you to anticipate recoil and flinch (both bad things when it comes to accuracy).

If you are more experienced you should go with whatever feels most comfortable for you.

With the longer barrel you will get a bit higher accuracy. However, the larger the barrel the more of a pain in the butt it is to conceal.

For me, I would pick the .45 ACP, but that's just my personal preference. It happens to be one of my favorite calibers, and I spend most of my range time practicing with one. What you pick might be different though, and that's perfectly fine.

• You know there are so many factors here that can not be figured into this question. What kind of drugs the psycho is on? What kind of grain bullet is the .357 or .45 acp? Is the moon full or not? I could go on and on with the differences but the plain and simple fact is that most ANY gun in your hand is going to be a huge deterrent to most people breaking into your home and coming face to face with you.

My choice in handguns for home protection is the Taurus PT145. This handgun is very light and has hardly any recoil to it. In a close quarters situation you can place at least 3 rounds in close proximity without losing site of your target. I say this because some .45's have such a harsh recoil that after one shot you lose sight of your target and have to bring the gun back into position for your next shot that they don't make sense for close quarters home protection. I have owned both a S&W .357 4" revolver, a 9 mm Taurus PT99, and this .45 and out of those 3 I absolutely love the PT145 for its feel, stability, reliability, and stopping power.

Hope this helped. Good luck.