In your opinion.......?

What is Underground hip hop?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

Music that is informally distributed by artists who do not have recording contracts. Home made copies are distributed by hand among a body of fans, either as tapes, recordable cd's or as digital downloads. The content of "Underground" is often subversive, covering topics avoided by major recording studios or criticizing established/signed artists. The work of Underground artists is rooted in the local scene and sometimes finds outlets among parties, local clubs and other less formal venues. With the advent of portable devices like iPods and the like, some Underground artists or organizers put together shows spotlighting unpublished work. The scene is technically rough but also displays a freshness and vitality that often is lacking in more commercial product.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know i'm gonna get thumbs down for this, but in reality an underground rapper is just a rapper who's not cared about enough outside of the hip-hop community to make it as a mainstream rapper. That doesn't mean that he's good or bad, it just means that he doesn't get any exposure.

• 1 decade ago

Hip-hop where the artists would not be recognized by the average American. Think of it like this:

The public (not hip-hop people, but people in general) know who:

T.I.

Jay-Z

Nas

Lil' Wayne are.

However, they would not know who:

J-Live

Canibus

Pharoahe Monch

AZ are.

So yes, I would consider AZ underground, because he is only known by the best of hip-hop fans.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A hip hop artist who has

a. Never had a platinum selling record

b. Never had a hit on MTV that got significant airtime.

c. Never been signed to a record label owned by Time Warner, Viacom, Disney, etc.

d. Never had any kind of mainstream success (i.e. song in a movie or TV show).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The ground underneath of the hip hop

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Music that isn't played on the radio, music that has meaning in it's lyrics, and made by artists who don't have a major record deal.

• 1 decade ago

people dat is not signed 2 a major record company but are considerd as not popular

• The artist that do it for the love, and deserve the fame.

• 1 decade ago

The BEST

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.