What colors look good on a sorrel (red) paint when showing western horsemanship and pleasure?

I’ve always told myself that I wouldn’t ever show a plain brown horse – and I’ve made myself lie. I’ve always shown a different color: buckskin, palomino, and a black, but I will be showing a red sorrel paint gelding this summer. Dilly Dally Express (Dee) is mostly sorrel, with minimal white over ¾ of his body, but his hind and back legs are all white (with a red tail.) I do not have a picture of him yet, but you can view a video of him at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9g6LrXDs4

Youtube thumbnail

to get an idea of what he looks like. (And don’t mind the video – it was made in a hurry when his owner wasn’t exactly ready to list him for sale. I’ll be showing him this summer to help finish him out and put some miles on him.)

I have a lot of clothes with rich jewel tones – blues, teals, and purple, and of course, black chaps. In my personal opinion, I do not think that these colors work well with a red horse (and Hobby Horse’s color wheel agrees!) But I would like some other opinions. What works well with a horse colored like Dee? Would sand chaps work with him, despite his white? I will be showing all around, but I am particularly looking for a good color for showmanship, horsemanship, and pleasure. I’d appreciate any opinions from you knowledgeable show-people (and don’t be shy in showing your credentials!), and if anyone has any pictures of good color combinations available on the internet I would love to see. Thanks!

• Julia
    Favorite Answer

Good colors: White, black, yellow, brown, turquoise

Bad colors: Red, orange, green, blue, purple

I'd go with yellow, maybe brown if you don't look good in yellow.

My daughter shows a red sorrel gelding and we had a hard time finding colors fo him but we have found that he turns out best in black and neon green we spent a tone of money on colors and that works best he also has white but his is almost a snowflake so he was really tough to color. You can also use your black chaps with those colors.

I had this problem I went with hunter green and and different shades of brown. It depends though how your horse acts if he is high-strung i'd go with colors that say look at me like black and white with another color in it like purple or green. I would not put a yellow or orange on him though maybe red but it is up to you how that looks!

• Clara

For chaps, hat, etc. I would go with a chocolate brown. I would also get a very pretty light blue, turquoise, or green shirt, maybe with some brown in it to tie it to the chaps and hat. For buying clothes, check out: Hobby Horse Rods Showtime Clothing Tack Trader EBay

I seriously think hunter green would look the best on him. Some other good colours... purple, blue, black.

my sorrel filly looks really good with dark blue (not royal, but not quite navy either)...look at this link... http://www.flickr.com/photos/35479629@N03/

just bought her a new blanket and halter to match

hunter green would look great