What colors look good on a sorrel (red) paint when showing western horsemanship and pleasure?

I’ve always told myself that I wouldn’t ever show a plain brown horse – and I’ve made myself lie. I’ve always shown a different color: buckskin, palomino, and a black, but I will be showing a red sorrel paint gelding this summer. Dilly Dally Express (Dee) is mostly sorrel, with minimal white over ¾ of his body, but his hind and back legs are all white (with a red tail.) I do not have a picture of him yet, but you can view a video of him at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9g6LrXDs4

Youtube thumbnail

to get an idea of what he looks like. (And don’t mind the video – it was made in a hurry when his owner wasn’t exactly ready to list him for sale. I’ll be showing him this summer to help finish him out and put some miles on him.)

I have a lot of clothes with rich jewel tones – blues, teals, and purple, and of course, black chaps. In my personal opinion, I do not think that these colors work well with a red horse (and Hobby Horse’s color wheel agrees!) But I would like some other opinions. What works well with a horse colored like Dee? Would sand chaps work with him, despite his white? I will be showing all around, but I am particularly looking for a good color for showmanship, horsemanship, and pleasure. I’d appreciate any opinions from you knowledgeable show-people (and don’t be shy in showing your credentials!), and if anyone has any pictures of good color combinations available on the internet I would love to see. Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Julia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good colors: White, black, yellow, brown, turquoise

Bad colors: Red, orange, green, blue, purple

I'd go with yellow, maybe brown if you don't look good in yellow.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

My daughter shows a red sorrel gelding and we had a hard time finding colors fo him but we have found that he turns out best in black and neon green we spent a tone of money on colors and that works best he also has white but his is almost a snowflake so he was really tough to color. You can also use your black chaps with those colors.

• 1 decade ago

I had this problem I went with hunter green and and different shades of brown. It depends though how your horse acts if he is high-strung i'd go with colors that say look at me like black and white with another color in it like purple or green. I would not put a yellow or orange on him though maybe red but it is up to you how that looks!

• Clara
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For chaps, hat, etc. I would go with a chocolate brown. I would also get a very pretty light blue, turquoise, or green shirt, maybe with some brown in it to tie it to the chaps and hat. For buying clothes, check out: Hobby Horse Rods Showtime Clothing Tack Trader EBay

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I seriously think hunter green would look the best on him. Some other good colours... purple, blue, black.

• 1 decade ago

my sorrel filly looks really good with dark blue (not royal, but not quite navy either)...look at this link... http://www.flickr.com/photos/35479629@N03/

just bought her a new blanket and halter to match

• 1 decade ago

hunter green would look great

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.