What are the penalties for filling a false police report in the state of New Mexico?

I filed a false police report against my boyfriend and said that he hit me like 7 times in the face. I did have marks on my face but they werent from him. They were from a girl I got in a fist fight with the day before, the cops took pictures so now they have evidence.

Is there any way i can drop the charges???

what will happen if I dont show up to court??

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION.....

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I SAY I MADE A FALSE POLICE REPORT????

Favorite Answer

Filing a false police report is a misdemeanor in New Mexico. The exact law can be found at the first link below:

CHAPTER 30

Criminal Offenses

ARTICLE 39

30-39-1. False report; penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to intentionally make a report to a law enforcement agency or official, which report he knows to be false at the time of making it, alleging a violation by another person of the provisions of the Criminal Code [30-1-1 NMSA 1978]. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

The penalty for a misdemeanor will vary depending on judicial discretion, but it will not exceed one year in jail and a $1000 fine (see second link below).

31-19-1. Sentencing authority[;] misdemeanors; imprisonment and fines; probation.

A. Where the defendant has been convicted of a crime constituting a misdemeanor, the judge shall sentence the person to be imprisoned in the county jail for a definite term less than one year or to the payment of a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or to both such imprisonment and fine in the discretion of the judge.

B. Where the defendant has been convicted of a crime constituting a petty misdemeanor, the judge shall sentence the person to be imprisoned in the county jail for a definite term not to exceed six months or to the payment of a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500) or to both such imprisonment and fine in the discretion of the judge.

C. When the court has deferred or suspended sentence, it shall order the defendant placed on supervised or unsupervised probation for all or some portion of the period of deferment or suspension.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?VIkf

Yes you can inform the DA that filed the charges that you are a nut case and lied about the incident and have the girl you did fight who marked your face sign an affidavit to that effect and they will drop the charges. Hopefully your boyfriend will wise up and drop you as well. Oh yeah the important thing is what happens to your nut case self for filing the false police report not that your BF is going through hell for an offense he didn't commit. pfft probably nothing they will drop the charges and give you a slap on the hand. You are almost as selfish as you are imature.

• keedy

maximum places, submitting a pretend police record is a misdemeanor and punishable subsequently. in keeping with the place you're, it ought to hold as much as a 300 and sixty 5 days sentence and a superb. The penalty would selection by making use of locality so with out understanding the place you're, there is not any thank you to respond to your question.