Jon asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

What do you think is the genuine meaning of feminism?

And has the meaning altered over time?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Blue
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I think is should mean equality for all. But if that's what some say it means then why is it exclusively called "feminism"? And not humanism?

• 4 years ago

Every man that has to live in a society that feminism has tainted is hurt by it. Men have been demonized by feminism for 40 years. Do some research. If there were men's studies programs in colleges where anti-female extremists were required reading, I think you'd realize that might not be too "swell" for women. ...Might just "hurt" them. If the teachers in these programs taught about the evil "patriarchy" where women are keeping men down, that might just make men a little resentful & bitter & it might just drive a wedge between the sexes. The reverse of that situation if found all over the nation in our universities. That's just one example. Do some research. Katie Couric on the Today show can ask a bride that had been stood up at the alter if she'd "considered castration as an option" ...for the absent groom. Did she lose her job? If Matt Lauer had asked a man if he'd considered the genital mutilation of his bride what do you think would have happened? Ask Don Imus... Or Larry Summers.

• 1 decade ago

There is no genuine meaning. Much like mainstream politics, feminism has a whole range of ideas on how society should be run and how social problems should be dealt with. It would impossible for me to agree with every politician at once, and it would be impossible for me to agree with every feminist at once.

The point is not to figure out whether you are for or against feminism, but what kind of feminism you are for or against :-)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm not quite sure there is a "genuine" meaning. But it seems to me modern feminism is either about making everyone the same or making women superior.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The original meaning was for women to be treated as equals to men and be respected rather than being seen as second class citizens, allowing them to get equal working opportunity and pay and rights for voting etc.

In modern times it's shifted to mean the interests of individuals, female individuals. From most of what I've seen from the modern "feminists" it's basically an "our sh*t doesn't stink and don't you dare tell us it does" parade.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Feminism changed from the original meaning in the 1960s. The practice of modern feminism is very different to the original theory. The theory is equality, but the practice is inequality; this is the hallmark of modern feminism e.g. closing women's prisons http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-2338885... and relaxing laws in some cases where women kill men http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/29/law.ukcri...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Women's rights, but over the years its been seen as a man-hating movement, because of the radicals.

• 1 decade ago

Being able to choose what you want for your life and not have society dictate what you should do. Having the choice to work, not to work, or even support your partner while they stay home.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Women's lib back in the 60's was all about women's rights and changing laws. Today it has a much broader meaning of equality and humane lifestyles for men, women and children.

• QueenB
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

'feminsim is the radical notion that women are people'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.