Childbirth - fear causes pain, fear can be overcome?

Just a random question - I have a friend who's youngest 2 children were 'freebirthed' (home birth with no trained personel present and no medical intervention at all). Her theory (which does seem to be backed by many) is that the pain in childbirth is actually caused by fear. Fear causes your body to... show more Just a random question - I have a friend who's youngest 2 children were 'freebirthed' (home birth with no trained personel present and no medical intervention at all). Her theory (which does seem to be backed by many) is that the pain in childbirth is actually caused by fear. Fear causes your body to seize up etc, making the whole process more difficult. She swears she has seen a video of a 'free birth' where the mother was actually smiling as the baby came out - without pain relief. Apparantly this is possible if you manage to get into the right mental state. She does tell me that her daughter's birth was pain free, but that her most recent addition was 'painful but manageable', but she believes that she wasn't mentally prepared for it, and that was why she experienced some pain.
lol, I know, a lot of rabble there. But has anyone here got personal experience of a pain free birth through overcoming fear?
Even if it were possible, I know I couldn't personally overcome my fear! But that's because I'm a self-confessed wimp.
Update: I do find it hard to believe, but I don't know enough about it really. I know it's not something I could do - having gone through childbirth twice. It interests me, although not to the point of trying it. Just to clarify - she does say that it is possible to have an entirely pain free birth, not just that... show more I do find it hard to believe, but I don't know enough about it really. I know it's not something I could do - having gone through childbirth twice. It interests me, although not to the point of trying it.
Just to clarify - she does say that it is possible to have an entirely pain free birth, not just that it's more manageable. I do believe that the right mental state can help to control your body more (again, not something I was able to do), but I'm not convinced that it can be totally pain free.
Update 2: Can I also just clarify - I am in no way considering this for myself - we aren't planning any more children. I am simply interested in the theory.