Heather asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What are some good side dishes to go with grilled bratwurst?

My aunt and uncleare coming over for dinner and bringing bratwurst to grill. I've never had grilled bratwurst and don't know if you eat them on a bun with like relish or something. I have no clue what side dishes to make and I can't get them on the phone to ask them. I'm also grilling chicken legs too. Any ideas would be great. I need stuff fairly quick and easy to make.

• kitch
    Favorite Answer

We usually have potato salad, but you don't really have the time for that I guess. I would cut some onions and green peppers and toss with a little olive oil, wrap up in some foil and throw it on the grill to cook along side the brats. Then serve the brats on hot dog buns and provide mustard, ketchup, and relish, and the grilled onions and peppers. Sauerkraut also goes well with brats. Other than that, maybe coleslaw or macaroni salad, grilled corn on the cob and some baked beans.

Good luck!

1

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Guide - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?ChRP

Here's a very simple suggestion. In fact, I had this with grilled brats last night. Go to the store and buy 1) a can of Read's German Potato Salad (feeds 2-3, so if there's a crowd you'll need more than one can), and 2) a jar of sweet and sour red cabbage.

Put the German Potato Salad into a microwave dish and mix in 1 tsp cider vinegar for each can. Nuke on half power for 5 minutes. Test for heat.

Put the red cabbage in a microwave dish and add 1-2 Tbsp of sugar per jar. Heat the same way as the potato salad.

To make this authentic German meal even better, make Curry Wurst with the brat on your plate. Cut it up into pieces, cover generously with catsup, and sprinkle with Curry Powder liberally. Yum!

As I said, I had this last night and have it at least once a month....

Dave

I love brats with sauteed onion and bell peppers, just put them in a pan with salt and pepper and butter or oil and cook until they're tender. This can be done on the grill as well. Other things that go with them are baked beans, potato salad, potato wedges, tater tots, onion rings, macaroni salad, and coleslaw. Canned is fine for all of these things, but can be made easily and fairly quickly as well. You can definitely eat the brats on buns like a hot dog, my family never eats brats without buns, but you can if you'd like.

You can eat bratwurst on or off the bun - usually served with mustard, onion, or sauerkraut

As a side you could have any combination of:

baked beans

macaroni salad

cole slaw

potato salad

fruit

corn

green beans

german potato salad

fresh fruit

• Anne

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

• My Austrian family when having a bratwurst dinner, they serve sauerkraut and fried potatoes. Potatoes prepared similar to "cottage fries". Fry smaill sliced potatoes in bacon drippings or oil until slightly crispy browned, add chopped green onions, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste, mix thoroughly, cook 5 minutes more or until onion is well cooked. Serve with prefered mustards.

My family LOVES grilled peppers and onions. Especially if you make the brats on the grill, you can put chopped onions and peppers in a foil back and put it on the grill also. We also usually have some potato salad, chips, whatever. Same type of sides as with hot dogs or hamburgers. Picnic type food!

Sauerkraut - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut

Sour and tanginess go good with the rich meaty tasted of bratwurst.

Whole wheat rice with baby sweet peas is also a great side IMO ( add a tablespoon butter into the mix or as you so fit )

• Tammy

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/5qlT5

GREAT POTATO SALAD Serving Size: 6 1 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing 1 teaspoon mustard 1/2 teaspoon celery seed 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper 4 cups potatoes, cooked and cubed 2 boiled eggs, chopped 1/2 cup onion, chopped 1/2 cup celery, sliced 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish Combine salad dressing, mustard, celery seed, salt, and pepper; mix well. Add potatoes, eggs, onion, celery, and pickle; mix lightly. Chill. RED CABBAGE (German Dish) 1 med. head red cabbage 3 tbsp. butter 4 tbsp. sugar 1/4 c. vinegar 1/2 c. water 1 tbsp. salt 1/4 c. currant jelly Quarter cabbage and shred into thin strips. In heavy kettle brown butter. Add cabbage and stir well. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and water. Cover and simmer slowly over a low heat for 45 minutes. When cabbage is tender add jelly and stir until it dissolves. This dish tastes best when made 24 hours in advance and is reheated before serving. BAKED SAUERKRAUT 1 qt. sauerkraut 1 c. white sugar - I cut back Fried drained bacon 1 pt. stewed tomatoes 1 c. brown sugar Combine tomatoes and sugar. Add sauerkraut and blend well. Bake in slow oven at 300 degrees for about 3 hours before removing from oven. Sprinkle generously with bacon bits on top. BAKED BEANS WITH SAUERKRAUT 1 lg. can pork and beans 1/2 lb. bacon, cut up and sauteed 2 onions, chopped and sauteed 1/2 c. brown sugar 1 qt. sauerkraut 1 c. brown sugar Put first 4 ingredients in baking dish and bake 2 1/2 hours. Then add sauerkraut (drained and rinsed with cold water if its real strong or salty), and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Bake 1/2 hour more at 325. hope these help. good luck and enjoy.