Christians, how come your "holy book" promotes murder?

I thought Christians were supposed to be against murder.

I thought murder was wrong! 6th. Commandment, Exodus 20:13 “Thou shalt not kill”

Apparently not according to the Bible

"Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel." (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

" Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

"They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman." (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

So your all admitting that the OT bible contradicts itself?

God you Christians make no sense whatsoever!

Your all idiots!

NT:

21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

3:9 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Best Answer

Times have changed since then.. let's get with the program.

Cinn =)

Sorry to disappoint Lonesome, but I cannot believe every word I read in a book that has been translated and re-translated. Hence I am a Liberal Christian and God knows my heart.

I need not please man... I only have to please God and I guess in the end I will see if I have.

P.S. I think God prefers his name started w/ an uppercase letter =)

and as for you Mr. name calling Timothy.. I dont appreciate it, but I guess I should expect it.

I'd like to point out to all of the posters above me who blindly categorize it as "punishment" that the commandment simply states "Thou Shall Not Kill." No conditional modifiers attached. The asker has a completely legitimate question.

Being non-Christian, I can't begin to answer, but, original poster, I don't think you'll find any answers for that one. If you're a Christian, then you'll just have to figure out how to deal with it. If you're on the fence, or non-Christian, then it's one more count against the believability of the source of the religion.

Edit: The NT may be the teachings of Christ, but the OT is still part of the Word of God and shouldn't be dismissed because a conflict has been brought to your attention.

• BMCR

I'm not a Christian but your question is nonsense on stilts.

If you were to read the original Hebrew of You Shall Not Kill you will find that the root of the word "kill" there is "Ratzach" which literally means "murder". There is a different word for kill which is "Harag".

So, just like we have in English the word "murder" means "unethical killing" while "kill" means "any form of life termination whether ethical or not" the same in Hebrew.

So, just like in modern times we still have the concept of war (in which soldiers kill) and capital punishment (in which the state kills people for horrible crimes) and we still give arguments as to how that is different than wanton murder the same applies to the Bible.

Now, you may disagree with what it says but it is definitely not contradictory as you are trying to argue.

Source(s): I'm Jewish

I am sorry you are having a hard time understanding Christianity/God and/or the Bible. It does sometimes take serious, indepth bible study in order to understand the complexities of the Bible.

First, in answer to your question, let me start by saying, God is not murderous, nor does the Bible condone murder. But, God is a God of justice. Justice can be defined as the determination of right and wrong and handing out rewards and punishments accordingly. As it says in the book of Galations 6:7: "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap." So, in essence the instances that you quoted in your question, were unfortunately those people reaping a harvest of destruction based on their choices. It sounds harsh, but justice isn't always cutesy and lovey lovey. It is just that, justice.

I can further address your question from many angles. For one, God is loving and merciful, in addition to being just. He has many attributes. It was not His intent to hash out destruction and death upon humanity. However, after the first created human beings, Adam and Eve, disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden, death and destruction entered the world as a natural consequence. God had originally intended for humanity to live in tranquility on a peaceful earth. You can read the story in the book of Genesis.

Second, at the time of the old testament writings, which is what you quoted, the world was in a different spiritual dispensation. The different dispensations are different ways of God administering his rule over the world. For example, as I understand it, the first dispensation, prior to the sin of Adam and Eve was that of innocence, in essence humans were protected from death/destruction because God saw them as blameless as they had not had the knowledge of good and evil (see Genesis for more on the knowledge of good and evil). Other dispensations that would follow as a result of the failure of the first are the dispensation of the conscience and of Human Government (which is where capital punishment entered the picture). We are currently in the dispensation of grace. This is the sixth dispensation. The sacrificial death of the Lord Jesus Christ introduced the dispensation of pure grace, which means undeserved favor, or God giving righteousness, instead of God requiring righteousness, as under law (in past dispensations). Salvation, perfect and eternal, is now freely offered to anyone upon the acknowledgment of sin and repentance (turning away from sin), with faith in Christ.

I hope this helps. I know that sometimes a person's mind is already set to not take in anything if they are already convinced in their ways. So, if that's the case, no answer that you receive here will change your mind. However, if you truly are on a quest for truth, do the additional research and ask the Christian God (which you either don't believe in or is struggling to understand) to help guide you. He understands and he will lead you to truth if you are earnest and sincere.

Blessings and Peace be upon you.

Source(s): The Holy Bible Charles Caldwell Ryrie, Dispensationalism Today (Chicago: Moody Press, 1965 C. F. Keil and F. Delitzsch, Biblical Commentary On The Old Testament, Vol. I, trans. by James Martin (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1959),
  • Maria

First you are correct the bible is riddled with a vicious God including an infinite amount of contradictions from the perfect being. But, to not believe in some higher intelligence with the probability of that being if I remember correctly is about 68% is also ignorant- I dont mean that condescending just be open not closed minded it is a massive universe out there

Read Genesis 9 thoroughly.

Hunman government is established by God.

Captial punishment is there.

Thou shalt not kill is properly translated, Thou shalt not murder.

Exodus 21 elaborates more and acknowledges manslaughter crimes, and crimes committed in self-defence.

The Hebrews had several cities of refuge, where a killer could go and find himself safe from retribution.

Source(s): Read the rest of the Bible, and you'll learn more before going into battle unarmed.
  • john

Simply stated.. all references that you are using were found in the Old Testament. Everything changed with the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The Old Testament was written only for the Jews. The New Testament was written for Jews and Gentiles (that is anyone who isn't Jewish)

Read the New Testament it is full of forgiveness.

Happy Easter He is risen!!

Because how else would they look like fools?

I find it funny since satan is suppose to be the bad guy, yet both satan and satanist, have done far less atrocities than Christians and their god.

Cinnamon: The bible nor gods words ever change. Christians are now just disobeying god.

Source(s): Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever."

The world of the OT was so violent with people all around Gods people who would corrupt them if they weren't given strict rules with strict consequences. When Jesus came he 'fulfilled' the law, meaning it changed. It wasn't wrong for the time it was used in, so it is not a contradiction.

"It's punishment, not murder, like abortion or genocide."

WHAAATTT??? See, THESE are the people you're trying to get a straight answer from. If being put to death doesn't equal murder, I don't know what does.