Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

R&S, why do you think theists keep bringing up the "atheists responsible for deaths" as if it were a tally?

Or if it were 'because' of their atheism?

Don't they know what a can of worms this is?

Besides the fact that all of the so-called Marxist (Marxism ≠ atheism) dictators thought *THEY* themselves were gods, isn't god ultimately responsible? god had to know that adam would commit original sin and bring death upon the world, then went ahead and created him anyway. Not to mention god created Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler etc.

Then you look at all the plagues and disasters (free-agency is responsible for these? NOT!), then we get to all of those who killed in the name of god, which is all the rest.

In short, god is responsible for every death of every living thing the earth has ever carried.

How is them apples?

christian man, touche: you don't believe in atheism yet you blame it for the death of millions. You need to be locked up.

Religion spawned the very idea of TOTALITARIANISM.

Have a nice day.

Favorite Answer

I have never seen a Christian ask that question. I have seen many others tally the murderous nature of the Catholic faith. LOL I am a Catholic. Who cares as long as you are a good person and live morally let people ask their dumb questions in the end, they end up reported.

Love and God bless,

Kate

Source(s): Catholic is Christian Pray the Rosary

The reason Theists bring up the atheists responsible for deaths is because of the million and four times a day that the atheists in here point to how religion has killed so many people.

God does not kill people, people kill people and God did not create Hitler to do what he did anymore then He created anyone to commit mass murder. We have free will and with that comes our responsibility to do what is right, but many choose to use it for wrong. Our society and what a person has been exposed to, and sometimes brain "defects" are the reason that people turn into what they do.

I believe God created the earth, He set it in motion and now "nature" takes it's course, so God does not sit there and say "Hey how about a hurricane today". I also do not buy into the idea that before God created humanity He knew what would ultimately happen, I realize that many Christians say this, but because He gave us free will, how could He know what we would each choose to do? I believe he is "All seeing and all knowing" in that He is everywhere at all times, and sees and knows what is happening, not that He already knows. I just do not think that is how it works at all.

Edit: Regardless of in what "name" a person commits a crime, it was still committed. In the name of God, money, power, greed, lust whatever, and just because a person CLAIMS they did something FOR God or in the name of God does NOT mean He sanctions it, it means the person is weak and unwilling to take responsibility in their actions.

i think partially its a failing attempt to flip the coin on all the deaths that have been caused by organized religions, and partially it is because they do not understand (or maybe choose not to understand) that atheism was not the primary cause of these things. either way, it is nonsense since proving atheism to be harmful would not prove a stance against gods to be incorrect.

they have mistaken pears for apples (again)

I disagree God is not responsible for some one who chooses to murder just as your parents who brought you into this world is not responsible for every thing you do.

free will of man lets men do what they want

they will also answer for every thing they did good or bad.

diseases are caused by man. The plague was caused by the filth man lived in with no sanitary conditions.

Human waste being thrown every where even in the rivers.

I can't recall for the life of me Stalin or Mao ever killing in the name of Atheism. Always seemed to me they killed in the name of Communism.

• Fierce

All I know is that NO ONE EVER committed a crime in the name of atheism. You can't say the same for ANY form of religion. Of course atheists commit crimes... but NOT because they are atheists. How many people have done something, "In the name of (my) god!"?

Religious Extremists always blame everyone else,but never have a good look at themselves.Just ignore these extremists,they don't deserve to be taken seriously.

LOL, I never did that.

Look up hasty generalization. Not all theists "keep bringing it up."

PEOPLE are responsible for deaths. Nature is responsible for deaths.

• kate

They are trying to do that because they know that their own religion (well, mostly just the Christians actually) know that they have killed thousands upon thousands, but nobody has truly died of athiesm.

So your latest excuse is blaming a God you don't believe in.

Very rotten apples.

Source(s): Atheism has killed 100 million people in the 20th century. no, i believe atheism is very real