Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

Why did WWF suddenly decide to sue WWE?

It just seemed so sudden, they were both around for a long time it seems weird that they would just suddenly sue

Favorite Answer

In 2000, the World Wildlife Fund (also WWF), an environmental organization now called the World Wide Fund for Nature, sued the World Wrestling Federation. A British court agreed that Titan Sports had violated a 1994 agreement which had limited the permissible use of the WWF initials overseas, particularly in merchandising.[10] On Sunday May 5, 2002, the company quietly changed all references on its website from "WWF" to "WWE", while switching the URL from WWF.com to WWE.com. The next day, a press release announced the official name change from World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. to World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., or WWE, and the change was publicized later that day during a telecast of Monday Night RAW, which emanated from the Hartford Civic Center in Hartford, Connecticut. For a short time, WWE used the slogan "Get The 'F' Out."[11] The company had also been ordered by court to stop using the old WWF Attitude logo on any of its properties and to censor all past references to WWF, as they no longer owned the trademark to the initials WWF in 'specified circumstances'.[12] However, despite litigation, WWE is still permitted use of the original WWF logo, which was used from 1984 through 1997, as well as the "New WWF Generation" logo, which was used from 1994 through 1998. Furthermore, the company may still make use of the full "World Wrestling Federation" and "World Wrestling Federation Entertainment" names without consequence

Source(s): yahoo answers

I don't know it did seem to take a while.I think WWF had the name first then wrestling came along or WWf seemed more legit than entertainment

There WWF changed there name to WWE because there were getting sued by the world wildlife foundation. and they were tired of being mistaking for the world wrestling foundation. The wildlife was opened before the wrestling was founded. So the wild life won in court.

• I wondered why they didn't sue 20 years before they did. Did it take them 20 years to notice?

I guess they didn't know about it, maybe one of the co-workers for WWF son showed his daddy the (what used to be) WWF.

• Nick

I think it was something about them really becoming more successful.Honestly I don't know why exactly.It did seem pretty sudden.And I don't know why exactly.Good Question.

• TNA

They wanted money.

No one gave/gives a damn about the World Wildlife Fund.

Since then I make an extra effort to do the opposite of what they want us to do, and turn the channel anytime one of their ads come on.

For example Earth Hour. instead of just a light on in the living room, and the kitchen, I turned on EVERY light in my house during that 1 hour.

The both room, hall, bedrooms, basement, the other 2 lights that or in the living room, the other 2 lights in the Kitchen, the light in the front room of the house, the light in the computer room, everything.

Suck my balls World Wildlife Fund. Go bankrupt already.

• peggy

David Reynolds and Cole Lewis asked the same question. You should read the answers side by side.

Need more details

They wanted money.

----------------------------------------------------------

This answer was just hilarious and derserves BA because its so damn funny. As for your question well, im sure everyone else above me that answered already took the answer I was going to give so theres no point in me repeating it.