Is it considered rude to speak Spanish in front of your non-Spanish speaking friends?

We were having this girl’s night out attending a Poetry event on campus. A cute boy from Belize I been rejecting all semester long came up to the group speaking Spanish. He feel more confident speaking his native tongue around me (We all got a class together, my friends know he can speak English)

My friends think I was being rude to talk with him in Spanish around them...

Best Answer

It is rude. The people I work with do this all the time. I have picked up on some of the things they say, and now know that they are talking about the americans that work there (these people are mexican). Your situation is a little different, but people do not like being left out of a conversation, and it might make them feel stupid if they do not know spanish.

I think that it's rude to carry on conversations in front of people who don't understand what you might be saying. I don't know about the legality of it -- especially in Florida, they have some waaaack laws down there -- but I can definitely see how it might have an effect if you are a worker in a hotel or something else that caters to a lot of tourists.

• C.S.

1. He's fooling with you as national language of Belize is English.

2. You were not being rude to speak Spanish. Just keep it limited to making him feel accepted and then move on to widening the circle of people who are in the conversation.

Source(s): I know lots of Belizeans and none speak Spanish. They either speak English, a native language, or some weird English-hybrid.

surely your friends would have understood the conversation?

after all MOST americans high school students are REQUIRED to take spanish as a foreign language. So, SURELY they should know what you were talking about and they could have joined in.

In my opinon your friends are rude - NOT you.

It's freaking rude.

04/21/1836!

If in close enough area, yes it is very rude.

it can be considered rude because its almost the same as whispering Its not wrong to speak another language infront of your friends as long as they understand at least a few words of what youre saying that way they don't feeel excluded

You need a new boy friend like me who can teach you to obey your man without question .

Yes. It's the same as telling secrets in front of your friends. Which is rude. Have some class, for Christ's sake.

You were being very rude and ignorant for not asking your friend to speak English. Your friends are right.