Do I need a license to carry my gun to a shooting range?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I want to take my new gun to the shooting range, can I just place my gun in its case, put it in trunk, and drive it to the range, or is a license needed for this?
Update : i paid $25 for a background check, does this mean I get a gun license, or ...show more
Best Answer
Which state do you live in? In Indiana (where I am from) you are required to have a permit to take a handgun off your property for any reason other than repairs or to and from a dealer.
They don't mention anything about rifles however.
There is a myth going around (atleast in Indiana) that you are fine as long as have the handgun in a locked case in your trunk sepperate from any ammo, however the actual law does not state this.

Check the NRA website to read further about your state laws here:
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=IN

Stay safe and Legal

Source:

• 3
  • Comment

Other Answers (20)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Jerry H answered 5 years ago
    The answer varies drastically by state and, sometimes, local jurisdiction.

Start here to get an idea of gun laws in your state:

http://www.usacarry.com/

Source(s):

• 3
    • Comment
  • J.R. answered 5 years ago
    Depends on what state (or country) you live in. In Canada, yes, you need a license. In fact, your gun should have been stored at the range, and you should have permission to bring it home. In most states in the US, no license or permit is needed. However, every state's laws are different, so it would be prudent to seek local advice before venturing out.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Dances With Mops answered 5 years ago
    In Michigan, at least, you don't need a license IF the gun is unloaded and in a locked case. Which state are you in where you have to wait 72 hours for a background check?
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • CHUNDER answered 5 years ago
    No license necessary in CA. You do need to take a quick "test" to get a purchase card for handguns in peoples republic of CA, and renew this every 5yrs. 10 day wait for all purchases in CA.
    trunk is fine. have fun and shoot safe!

Source(s):

AMERIKA....KALIFORNIA.....
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Johnny answered 5 years ago
    Hi there,

I just got new gun (handgun) today, i lived in OK ...but i dont have Conceal license to carry gun, and after that i went to practice at Range Shop....but make sure u put ur gun in case and live in ur trunk, ...make sure unloaded ....no need lisence , the license just for u carry around ur states and u loaded too.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Uncle Pennybags answered 5 years ago
    Every state has it's own gun laws, some more strict in others.

In California, once you've legally purchased the gun and endured the waiting period, there is no special license there after. You would put it unloaded in your locked trunk. That's sufficient.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • vangion answered 5 years ago
    I put mine loaded in my glove box and my background checks only cost $5

I live in Florida where do you live
    The rules are different in almost every state
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • John de Witt answered 5 years ago
    This is a question about law, not hunting. You simply have to give the jurisdiction you're in for a useful answer. The only hint we have is the American spelling of license, so it's likely there's no such thing as a gun license where you live, but even that isn't certain.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • fj55guync answered 5 years ago
    Probably not, but with out knowing what state you reside in I can guarantee nothing. Go to www.packing.org they have all firearms regulations dealing with carrying a weapon, whether concealed, carried openly, or just in the trunk of your car. I know here in my state I can keep the firearm in my car (my glove box) but if a police officer pulls me over the weapon must be in plain sight unless you have a concealed carry permit. However the law reads if the weapon is accessible to the driver, so it must also be unloaded. Now locked in its case in the trunk by definition is not easily accessible. Go to www.packing.org to view the laws for your state
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• what? answered 5 years ago
    Depends on what state you live in.

In some states - Connecticut for instance - yes, you will need a carry permit to practice shooting.

Most states do not have this restriction, though.

However, it's never a bad idea to get the license with the widest-scope so you have less red tape to cut through to exercise your Constitutional rights.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • R B answered 5 years ago
    In my state you do not need a license to carry your gun if you are to or from a recognized shooting range and your home. The gun can be openingly visible or placed inside the case. If you dont have a license you probably dont want to be riding around with it in your car all the time in the case or in any way "concealed" but going to and from your local shooting range is not a problem at all.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Lovinglife answered 5 years ago
    It depends on what state you are in and your local jurisdiction. For most states a license to purchase is not required (but not all states). A background check is not a license, it is simply a check to make sure you aren't a felon.

I am not aware of any state that requires that you have your permit to own (if one is indeed required) with you when you shoot. The ones that I am aware of simply require that you have the permit, but don't have any references to having it on your person while target shooting.

However, be aware that individual ranges can set whatever rules they want. If a particular range requires that you have it with you they can do so even if state/local laws don't require it.

A license to own a gun and a ccw permit are two totally different things. You do not need a ccw permit simply to own a firearm in any state (although some will waive the requirement of an ownership permit if you have a ccw license).
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Slowpoke answered 5 years ago
    No, you don't. Ensure it is unloaded. A trunk is same as a locked case. The $25 is for the FIB background check to ensure you are can purchase a firearms...you don't need a license to own a gun. The license is for CCW carrying a loaded gun.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Panama Joe answered 5 years ago
    No, if it's unloaded and in a case, then you need no license. It's only when it's loaded (and in some states exposed) that you need a permit.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • truckingbubba_florida answered 5 years ago
    in the trunk if fine just leave it unloaded
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ? answered 5 years ago
    I know that you dont need a license to take your own guy to the range in my state. It could be different in yours. As long you bring it consealed in it's case it should be ok.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • dca2003311@yahoo.com answered 5 years ago
    According to the 2nd Amendment No Permit Required.* Exercise Your 2nd Amendment Rights.* A Right Un-Exercised is a Right Lost.* If they Do require you to get a Permit or Pay a Fee they are Violating Your Constitutional Rights under the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.*

Source(s):

* Run like a Deer.*.................Fly like an Eagle.*~~
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Fatefinger answered 5 years ago
    Uh...

I've never had to deal with anything your speaking of.

Source(s):

"Bitter"
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Sherif K answered 5 years ago
    sure you do! whenever you're carrying any licensed weapon you should be carrying its license, just in case, or for any unwanted situation

Source(s):

i know someone who has a gun, wish i had one
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • jayhawk answered 5 years ago
    no
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock