Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

how do you win the nobel prize in literature?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Write an unbelievable book. I don't mean commercial fiction but something that is literary in nature. It has to show writing as an art form to be mastered. As for official rules and guidelines, I didn't know there were any.

Each year the Swedish Academy sends out requests for nominations of candidates for the Nobel Prize in Literature. Members of the Academy, members of literature academies and societies, professors of literature and language, former Nobel literature laureates, and the presidents of writers' organizations are all allowed to nominate a candidate. However, it is not permitted to nominate oneself.[6]

Thousands of requests are sent out each year, and about fifty proposals are returned. These proposals must be received by the Academy by 1 February, after which they are examined by the Nobel Committee. By April, the Academy narrows the field to around twenty candidates, and by summer the list is reduced further to some five names. The subsequent months are then spent in reviewing the works of eligible candidates. In October members of the Academy vote and the candidate who receives more than half of the votes is named the Nobel Laureate in Literature. The process is similar to that of other Nobel Prizes.[7]

The prize money of the Nobel Prize has been fluctuating since its inauguration but at present stands at ten million Swedish kronor.[8] The winner also receives a gold medal and a Nobel diploma and is invited to give a lecture during "Nobel Week" in Stockholm; the highlight is the prize-giving ceremony and banquet on December 10.[9]

• 4 years ago

i'm relatively surprised at reading the solutions to this question. the fairly some answerers have actual reported Munshi Premchand!! it somewhat is a time-honored awareness fact that Nobel prizes are actually not given posthumously. Then somebody reported, mom Teresa!! She has already have been given a nobel prize for peace, and that i do no longer think of her contribution to literature is sufficient to get her a nobel. some have reported that noone has gained Nobel in literature in India after Tagore. nicely...the asker is conscious that. The question isn't who has gained the Nobel. The question is, who can win the Nobel. Speculations is delivered in question. i do no longer think of anyone stands possibility to win Nobel from India. no longer because of the fact India lacks skills...yet because of the fact the west does not choose for Indians or Asians at great to win too many Nobel prizes. Nobel awards are laced with lots politics.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with Bleeding Pen!

Correction:

William Faulkner is a Nobel Prize Laureate (1949).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Write a book that the people in the committee at the Swedish Academy really likes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Be critically accepted and turn 90 years old. THey don't only give it to good authors but to accomplished authors. Even Cormac McCarthy, Thomas Pynchon, William Faulkner, James Joyce haven't won and they are GOOD.

Source(s): Future winner. I hope! Then again I don't wanna live that long.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.