geoff asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Are your feet bigger in the morning or the evening.?

Are your feet the same size throughout the day or are they slightly different when you have just woken up? I was sure previously i was told that when you wake up your feet can be up to 1/2 a size bigger than later in the day, but i may have got this backwards, can someone confirm?

• jonal
    Favorite Answer

In the afternoon and evenings most people's feet are a bit bigger. Best not to buy shoes in the morning when your feet are smallest,or they may be too tight later in the day....the reason is that while you're lying in bed,the fluid return works a bit better than when you're standing up,(it isn't going uphill) so as the day goes on there is more fluid in your feet and they are swollen a bit. For some people it's very noticable,for others hardly at all. Depends on how well your venous and lymphatic systems are working,general fitness,various medical conditions,all sorts. People are a bit shorter in the evenings than in the mornings too,because of the gravity pulling downwards through your spine and all the supporting bits are working against it,whereas at night while you're horizontal,the gravity is at right angles to the spine,and you get a bit longer...only 1/8th of an inch or so,nothing to worry about. ......Oh dear,Sophia...maybe have a little think about that eh? When are you going to wear the shoes?.

Source(s): ex-Army medic

Your feet are bigger in the afternoon, actually. Feet sometimes may get bigger in the afternoon because of swelling. However, it doesn't occur to everyone especially if they don't wear tight shoes, socks, or sandals. Don't worry though if your feet swell because it isn't dangerous and your feet will "shrink" back to normal later. I would like to add an additional note that the best time to try on shoes and buy is in the afternoon because your feet are the "biggest" or the most "swelled", so that way you can make sure they will feel comfortable all day.

Keep this in mind, your body does more work biophysically while sleeping. Your stress levels decrease, constricted arteries and veins are laxed and swell due to greater flow of plasma, blood, and lymph. The lymphatic system (larger than your entire vascular system) is hardest at work and expands as well to maintain basic homeostasis. Hence, the interstitium becomes greater in size due to many more chemical reactions taking place inside and outside the cells (cell excretion mainly). What do you do every morning after a cup of coffee? Much of that bowel movement was a product of perstalsis within the enterogastric system. Hence, your body gains volume, but tends to "float" or lose weight due to all of this metabolic activity. So all of this energy causes an abundance of interstitium to amass, not only in the feet, but also everywhere in the body through sheer logic., i.e the he puffiness in your eyes that tends to recede during the day.

When we exercise our feet also grow, but no where as large as during an 8 hr cycle of rest.

My advice, get to know your self and do your research, keeping logic in the forefront and the solution should be self evident.

Keep an open mind in an open source

your feet are bigger during the day all the walking and standing they usually say if you are buying shoes go early in the day to get the accurate size because feet tend to swell during the day

They get bigger during the day which is why shoes you put on first thing can be fine but then they pinch by the end of the day.

No it is usually the opposite as the feet tend to swell a little duirng the day as we go about our life

Bigger in the morning.

I've often had the experience that shoes that fit in morning

literally fall off in the evening.

My feet are always the same size.

Depends if I cut my toenails.. lol jk I have no idea my foots a size 13 so I just let them chill haha

• Mary O

Feet swell by evening, so buy your shoes in the evening.