The 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Amendments are Individual Rights guarnteed in the Constitution.?

With this in mind how can Liberals come to the belief that 2nd Amendment is not an individual right but the collective right of the Militia?

Update:

The only right not an individual right is the 10th Amendment which is a check on the Federal Government and is says so directly which is why I did not include it in the premise of the question

Update 2:

I am referring to the Bill or Rights the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution

Update 3:

Ok Ointment the Patrick Henry in the Virginia Constitution was being written argued "The great object is, that every man be armed." Does that sound like the Patriot who said give me liberty or give me death is speaking of a collective right.

Update 4:

Michael P in NJ the 4th Amendment starts out saying "The right of the people to be secure in their houses." So according to your logic individual citiziens should have no right to be secure in their homes. Having illegal searches and seizures is collective right correct. Next you lose

Update 5:

Ointment how about this quote:

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. … Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them."

Thomas Paine

Does this sound like the author of Common Sense believes the 2nd Amendment is a collective right. Now I am just destroying you

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The militia is the people, not the National Guard or the military. The founders made this clear.

"When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour."

President George Washington

"A free people ought … to be armed."

President George Washington, January 7, 1790

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance, They are the people's liberty's teeth."

President George Washington

"Arms in the hands of citizens [may] be used at individual discretion … in private self-defense."

President John Adams

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Samuel Adams

"What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty."

Elbridge Gerry

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Alexander Hamilton

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"

Patrick Henry

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."

Patrick Henry

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

President Thomas Jefferson

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well-regulated militia being the best security to a free country …"

James Madison

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

James Madison

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."

George Mason

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."

George Mason

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. … Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them."

Thomas Paine

the term "militia" was used to describe armed private citizens. "well regulated militia" means regulations can be placed on them, but their right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

• 1 decade ago

The Supreme Court recently ruled that it is an INDIVIDUAL Right.

http://writ.lp.findlaw.com/dorf/20080627.html

Here are the words-- writing for the majority

"Writing for the majority, Justice Antonin Scalia said that an individual right to bear arms is supported by "the historical narrative" both before and after the Second Amendment was adopted."

• 1 decade ago

There is a comma between Militia and being which liberals love to forget. They justify their entire argument on one word and/or a missing comma.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Source(s): The only part that you need to know from the 2nd amendment is "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because that's what the 2nd Amendment says. Here's the exact text:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The people. A plural, collective term. It doesn't say, "No person shall be deprived... " or "The right of any individual... " or anything like that.

Next!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • The 10th Amendment is also not about individual rights. Isn't it possible that the creators of the Bill of Rights were not particularly concerned with the distinction between individual rights and other kinds of rights, so they happened to include two rights--the second and the tenth--that were not individual?

You seem to be looking for an excuse to forget about the first clause of the Second Amendment. I think that clause was put in there for a reason and is not just excess verbiage.

• 1 decade ago

Your government is trying to do away with the Constitution. They are already trampling on it and making their own laws as we speak.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Liberals which are actually STATIST will attack the 2nd first and then the others will follow!

Source(s): MVP we will be in a war don't worry bout that dude! America is most definately under assault!
  • 1 decade ago

because it says Militia?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because that is what it says..a militia. Try reading it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

...Let me put it to you like this. We're in a war, a war on our land. of course its necessary for people to have guns, to protect our land. I'm talking about 1776. In 2009, if there is no war being fought in America, wtf is the point of having guns??..you tell me.

Source(s): You have just had your azz handed to you.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.