Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Does Harley Davidson have a secret V-Four in the works?

project NOVA in 1976, HD made a V4 and it flopped!

Harley Davidson says "older riders cannot be considered a continuing market"

HD wants to "reach out to younger and diverse riders"

That's why they are building a V4

So, The bottom line is you older riders that own the traditional air cooled BIG Twins are being thrown under the bus by HD!

what do you guys think of that?

Update:

My Source: Cycle World, May 2009

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I personally haven't heard of HD trying for a V4, but I do know that they are dropping a lot of bikes for 2010. (FXDL, XL883C, FLTR, etc.) They are also trying to appeal to the women riders more than the young crowd. Their whole train of thought is that if Mom will ride a motorcycle, she will be more likely to encourage her kids to do the same.

Harley is also trying to get more towards liquid cooled motors like the V-Rod. My thinking is that in the next several years, all new Harleys will be liquid cooled instead of air cooled.

Source(s): six years in motorcycle industry.
  • 1 decade ago

I understand that a 4 cylinder is on the drawing board, but not yet a reality. However, I haven't seen where they are going to stop production of their infamous v-twin.

What HAS happened this year is a 4 valve head that NHRA has approved for Pro-stock use. It appears that Harley wants to catch up with the Asian boys and NHRA wants to quit making them add weight so that Harley doesn't get left behind and will make for a heads up competition.

• 4 years ago

How about: 4. We are saved by faith alone, but neglect of works does impair our relationship with God. Salvation is through faith that Jesus Christ - God in the flesh - died in our stead. While salvation is through faith alone, our works DO matter. Our relationship with God is a two-way street. We shouldn't just get saved then sit back and do nothing. We should draw closer to God. We should to pray to Him, praise Him, trust Him, and depend on Him. We should witness to non-believers and share the Gospel, and live wholesome lives, setting an example for others. We should strive to be Christ-like. These things aren't necessary for salvation, but our relationship with God will suffer if we don't do them. AND we WILL be judged by our works. Some of us who have served God particularly well will reign alongside Jesus. Others will have responsibilities a couple of rungs down the ladder in God's Government.

• 1 decade ago

You are quoting a Cycle World article....not Harley-Davidson. You are reading in your own twist to the article. NOVA didnt flop it was canceled before it ever went to production. H-D does need to reach out to new customers....but will never throw there core Big Twin customers under the bus as you say.

Freedom of speech is a great thing.....but dont abuse it with BS.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Their NOVA project didn't have the chance to flop. They were working on a liquid cooled motorcycle but they didn't want the radiator to be highly visible. The problem was, they didn't have the resources to produce the NOVA bikes and their traditional bikes at the same time. They had to go with one or the other. They decided to go with their bread and butter.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Check out the latest issue of Cycle World magazine for an answer to your question. Not exactly "breaking news."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All your information comes from the voices in your head - take your meds & go lay down.

• 1 decade ago

I hear they have an airplane in the works!!! what do you think about that?

• Rudy H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, if we knew about it, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It won't matter because even if they did make a V-4 it would have too much stroke.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.