Hooked up jumper cables backwards now my car wont start no lights, nothing, what have I done?

Best Answer

Sweetie, it seems to me that you may have burnt some wiring, blown fuses or even fried the car's computer. There's many possibilities when something like this happens, if you can't find out what's wrong with it, then have somebody push you to your nearest mechanic shop and have them find out the problem for you. But until then, just check all your fuses the ones inside your car and the ones under the hood. Replace any fuse that was blown.

Hope I help and good luck !!!

Joseph D : )

• warden1 year agoReport

no power cant get it out of park 1998 Toyota camery

• Tony A

Connecting 2 batteries together, -ve to +ve, creates an apparently very low resistance circuit. The 2 batteries will try to equalise themselves. This will cause a very high current flow which, in tern, will generate a lot of heat. This could overheat the plates in the batteries and cause them to distort and short circuit. As you are connecting battery to battery this will not, in itself, blow a fuse because there are no fuses in the jump leads, however, if the charging car was switched on and running, it could overtax the alternator or components in charging circuit. Hopefully that would just blow a fuse.

Either blew a fuse or blew your starter. Does anything else work ? Does it try to turn over ? If it tries to start, then hook up the cables the proper way and try again.

• me too

i have heard of some engines not being able to tolerate jumper cables the wrong way...something about the charge frying the electrics.

But I'm not a mechanic and I only heard this from a lady at work...so hopefully in your case this is incorrect.

you have blown a fuse. could be your battery fuse, your engine start fuse ,your crank fuse, In worse cases if you have a vehicle prior to 1996 you might of fried the ECU since they were not protected back then from negative surges. CHECK ALL YOUR FUSES EVEN IF YOU FIND THE ONE THAT GIVES YOU POWER AGAIN.

1

Hopefully just a fuse. It's possible to fry the car's computer this way which is not cheap to fix.

You've blown one or more fuses. Check all your fuses first and replace any that are blown. That should fix the problem. If not, you may have fried the solenoid or even the starter

You could have done one of the two, Fried the wiring, or the main computer.

Depending on what type of car you have, you should probably call the maker and get further instructions.

just hook up cables the right way, make sure that other car is turned off and it should work!