advantages of closed adoption?

what are the pros of closed adoptions for the adoptive parent?

what percent of adoptions are close?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Linny
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The majority of the advantages are for the adoptive parents. An overwhelming number of first mothers NEVER wanted closed adoptions, or anonymity.

The majority of adoptions are closed. Some ap's will promise an open adoption, but they know they are not legally enforceable in the US. They can and usually do shut the door on the first mother as soon as possible.

Morgan's answers are laughable, as most of her reasons are the benefits for the adoptive parents, which is pretty typical.

Adoption is supposed to be whats in the best interest of the child. It is NEVER in the best interest of a child to have a closed adoption unless there was abuse involved, and in the case of newborn adoptions, that never even had a chance to happen in most cases.

This reason was my favorite: "The adoptive family looks and operates like any other family."

Looks, as we know, can be deceiving. Guess what- adoptive families are VERY different than non-adoptive families. Why? Because we are NOT genetically related to our parents!! Duh. Many adoptees have emotional issues due to their relinquishments and subsequent adoptions. But "Sssssshhhhhhh!", Its rarely talked about.

Many ap's want closed adoptions for purely selfish reasons- "out of sight, out of mind". While that may be true for the ap's, our first Mothers are NEVER out of our hearts or our minds.

Some of the answers make me scratch my head and wonder if these people are from another planet.

Source(s): being adopted
  • 1 decade ago

Why would you ask only for the advantages? Have you already thoroughly researched the disadvantages? I ask because looking at only one side of any issue makes me suspicious of motives....like one is trying to justify an existing bias rather than learn.

Here's an article on the risks and benefits of open adoption, from which you can draw some conclusions about closed

http://www.futureofchildren.org/information2826/in...

Source(s): www.openadoptionsupport.com
  • 4 years ago

There could could be seriously unusual situations surrounding an adoption for it to be re-opened and re-labeled. this is not some thing you purely flow signal and type and poof if takes position. until eventually you've a superior quantity of criminal information your self this is not likely to take position without an lawyer. this is what all those varieties are for - to thoroughly finalize the project without loose ends. really, do not carry your breath.

• 1 decade ago

In a closed adoption, there is no contact whatsoever between the birthmother and adoptive family. Closed adoptions were the norm for a very long time, so the general public tends to expect adoptions to be closed.

I want to add my disclaimer again – This list is assuming that the child was placed by a loving birthfamily. If the child was removed from an abusive household and placed for adoption, then a closed adoption would have an added benefit of protecting the child.

Pros

* The adoptive family looks and operates like any other family.

* The adoptive family has no responsibility to put together information for the birthmother.

* There is no potential for conflict between the birthfamily and adoptive family throughout the adoptee’s childhood because there is no relationship at all.

* The birthmother has no obligations toward the child. (This can be a pro for a birthmother who truly does not want any obligations or information about the child.)

Cons

* The adoptive family does not have any information about the birthfamily, such as medical history or why the child was placed for adoption.

* The birthfamily is a big mystery to the child, so the child might create his own distorted fantasy about who they are. The child might imagine that they are wealthy and famous, or the child might assume that they are really horrible people, when neither of these extremes is likely to be the truth.

* Due to lack of information, the child will draw his own conclusions about why he was placed for adoption. Some children will conclude that they were rejected by the birthfamily.

* If the child chooses to search, the adoptive family has no idea what to expect, creating anxiety about who the birthfamily might turn out to be.

* Finding the birthfamily can be difficult.

* The birthmother has no idea if the child is happy, safe, and loved.

* The birthmother has no way to reassure herself about placing the child for adoption because she has no information about how the child is doing.

* The fact that the adoptive family and birthfamily do not know anything about each other can breed distrust and fear, which can create issues if the child decides to search for the birthfamily.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • "Pros- no dealing with wacko birth parents, easier on the child to handle, especially at a young age, less confusing to the child, no having to worry about "sharing" holidays or anything, child feels more like they belong..."

What a crazy answer. Geez, I really hope people who think like that don't adopt.

Closed adoptions don't benefit anyone except for the adoptive parents who are not interested in a reminder that they did not give birth to their child. These types of adoptive parents are prone to the dillousional thought that their child sprung from a cabbage patch and they went around one afternoon and just picked one out.

Open adoptions are in the best interest of the child. Children feel more secure, less confused about their identity and experience less abandonment issues than children who are products of the more common closed adoption. Closed adoptions are very secretive and archaic but are still largely practiced today by the majority of adoptive parents. Open adoptions are often promised to relinquishing mothers before or at the time of relinquishment but since open adoptions are not enforceable, the majority of these 'open' adoptions quickly become closed adoptions.

Source(s): Surprisingly self actualized adult adoptee
  • 1 decade ago

The pros are that you dont have to deal with a birth parent or long lost relative of the child comeing around. It is difficult at times when the birth parent calls themselves mom or dad yet in an open adoption. We have 6 open adoptions and I wouldnt change that for the childs sake. An open adoption can be difficult but if you sit down with the birth parent and sets your bounderies right away it goes much smoother. In our situations we found it more difficult to deal with grandparents then actual parents

• 1 decade ago

""Pros- no dealing with wacko birth parents""

Nice! Real Nice! Is this what you tell your adoptive children if you are an adoptive parent??

Source(s): A 'wacko' birth thing...that searched and found the child born of her 'wacko' birth thing!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Pros for adoptive parents?

It is easier for them to buy into the "as if born to" myth.

Percentage that are closed?

In the baby scoop era - almost 100%

Now - almost 0%

• 1 decade ago

i do not advise closed adoptions. because when your child grows up, he or she will eventually find out they are adopted. this generally set off a frantic desire to 'find out who i am' and a urgent need to 'find my birth parents' that they are often willing to spend life savings on. this is not including any accidents they may requite transplant surgery, or genetic disorders that may appear later on in life. i suggest that you know who you are adopting from and keep files of their names and emergency contact info, even if you never need it and choose to never tell the child.

• 1 decade ago

None

Source(s): Hitting dead ends because of closed adoption
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.