Which Bible would you recommend?

Hi. I've recently gone back to church after many years of not having a church family. I have a Bible somewhere, probably stored in a box somewhere in the house, but would like to get another one. I 'think' this church uses the King James version (not even sure the difference of all these versions). What I must have is an easy-on-the-eyes (larger print), user friendly (meaning, I don't know all my Bible chapters well enough to go directly to the chapter), and a 'good book' that has an index in the back, such as 'where to go when' you're feeling anxious, fear, anger, grief, etc. I hope this all makes sense. I'm sure there are countless Bibles out there and being it truly is a personal gift to myself, I want one that I can pass down to one of my kids. Oh, I prefer a leather/soft-back Bible vs. a hard-covered one. Could you please help me with this? Many thanks! "Faith is not belief without proof. It's trust without reservation."

You all gave me great suggestions and education too. Thank you, sincerely. (And for the person who told me to go grab a Motel 8 Bible, thanks too. (It gave me a well-needed chuckle!) I just came from a Christian book store. I think I'll go with a NKJV. However, I want a Bible that has a bit of personality (whatever that means exactly.) So, it was suggested that I go online and search for one. (Unique color...something along those lines.) By all means, if you have any suggestions on a website to view/purchase a Bible, please share that with me. Again, many thanks to you all.

Favorite Answer

One that YOU'RE comfortable with...Most Christian bookstores have one or two of several versions "out of the wrapper" so you can page through and see what you're getting. Many Christians prefer the King James Version because of its accuracy, but my wife likes her Harper Study Bible in Revised Version because of the study notes and cross references in the margins. She also has a John MacArthur Study bible, which weighs about 40 lbs (joke!! It's BIG)....The Ryrie Study Bible is also great...There are so many fantastic commentaries out there I don't see how you can go wrong...Unless you get a cult version like the NWT used by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I use a large print KJV because it's easier to read. You can buy a set of "tabs" to label where each book is, or just use the table of contents...I've never seen a Bible without one.

My teenage son uses the NIV because of the more readable language; I also have a "Dove of Peace" King James Version with supplemental information such as Biblical facts and oddities, a listing of Christ's miracles, Prophecies concerning Christ, and a listing that I think is something like what you're after, it is a topical index that gives scripture references on different Characteristics of being a Christian, such as Abstinence, Accountability, Brotherly love, Cheerfulness, Courage, Earnestness, Fellowship, Forgiveness, Generosity, Holiness, Honor, Hope, etc., I have capitalized each because there is a paragraph of Biblical references for each characteristic....

I am SO SORRY that this particular Bible was a gift to me from a now deceased friend and I have no idea where it was purchased, but I listed it to encourage you that I'm sure that what you're after IS out there.

May God Bless your search.....You MAY find that you end up purchasing more than one book....We have a small library, and never enough information.

Yours in Christ,

John the Baptist

PS There is a WEALTH of info online, you can download FREE Bible software here: http://www.e-sword.net/index.html...

I have about 26 Bible versions on my laptop, including ASV, CEV, ESV, Geneva 1594, GNB, GNT, ISV, KJV, KJV-1611, LITV, MKJV, NIrV, NIV, NLT, RV, TNIV, Latin Vulgate, Hebrew, and Greek versions...I don't speak or read any of these languages, but with Strong's Bible Dictionaries, they are useful for study purposes.

Well there are several types of Bibles out there. You can get a literal translation (Ie: KJV, NKJV, NASB, ESV) Then there are dynamic equivalents (Ie: NIV, NLT). Finally, there are paraphrases (Ie: Amplified, Living Bible). Also there are the versions that some people translated to fit their beliefs, you dont want those. (Ie: New world translation.

The difference between the three main types is this: The literal translation is an attempt to render the exact words from the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts. So it is word for word. On the other hand a dynamic equivalent is translated thought for thought. You end up getting what the translator thought that the original text meant, rather than the actual text itself. In the paraphrases you get an exposition of one possible meaning of the text.

My personal favorite of the literal translations is the English Standard Version (ESV). The ESV is very readable, it is a literal translation and it flows gramatically in English. The NASB on the other hand, is just as literal and exact, but it does not flow as well, so it is harder to read and study. KJV is a good translation if you like the old english. NKJV (New King James Version) is just like the KJV only in more modern language. I use the NKJV a lot as well.

to shop for Bibles check out:

www.christianbook.com

this is where I get all mine, great prices!

*Edit*

I have seen some people reccomend the Ryrie study Bible:

EXCELLENT! Dr. Charles Ryrie is a noted theologian and his notes are extremely helpful. In the passages where there are more than one theological interpretation he lists all of the major interpretations, so this study Bible is an excellent tool for Bible study. Though he is a brilliant scholar Dr. Ryrie is a very humble man.

Source(s): I am a Bible college student

The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures comes in large print as well as soft back or hard-covered. In the back there are many different categories such as "Baptism," "Marriage," "Jesus," "Blood," etc. as well as a Glossary that lists every word and where you'll find it in the Bible. As far as knowing the chapters, it'll come after time but in the New World Translation there's a page towards the front that shows what order the books are in so you can refer to that easily.

I use a KJV study Bible called the Ryrie study Bible. It has

notations at the bottom to help explain some of the history that was

going on during that time period which helps to understand the text,

as well as explaining the meaning at the time of some of the

more difficult passages. I think you can get this study Bible in other

versions, maybe, I'm not sure, but I love my KJV. May God

bless you and I am so glad you are back to church. You made my

day.

Given that the majority of the Bible is the Hebrew Scriptures and the Hebrew Scriptures were written in Hebrew, if you're serious about your Bible study, pick up the Hebrew scriptures with the English translation from Artscroll.com. Most Christian interpretations are inaccurate, as they're translated from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English, which will obviously lead to mistranslations. Obviously direct translations from Hebrew to English will be most accurate.

The New Revised Standard Version. No theological agendas, just responsible translation. I recommend the HarperCollins Study Bible.

The Jimmy Swaggart Expositor's Bible. You can get it online for $60 at www.jsm.org. Whatever you think of Jimmy and his failings, he is hands down the best Bible teacher on the air and the Expositor's Bible is the clearest and most complete study resource I've owned, and I have owned them all. I could have saved myself thousands on commentaries if I had that Bible first. When I donated my library to the town there were probalby 100 different Bibles I'd acquired. That JSM Expositor's Bible is more useful than them all combined. I clarifies passages and doctrines simply and I can testify with complete orthodox accuracy.

I do not believe it requires anyone to fast. My mother is actually a Catholic follower working as a secretary in a Lutheran church and she offen gets into discussions about such things. To my understanding, fasting is not really covered a whole lot in the Bible. I dont remember the parts in which it does.

The New King James Version is good but a Contemporary one might have such index.

GOD BLESS YOU! AMEN! SHALOM!

Large Print king James with a companion side column full of notes.

This is the greatest study Bible ever made. EW Bullinger was a great scholar of the manuscript's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Companion-Bible-1611-KJV-Large...

Or you can get them in a soft cover but not large print.