Hooking up HDTV and DVD player through Component/HDMI plug?

I have a DVD player that is component hookup. I wanted to hook it up directly to my HDTV. I bought a Component RCA jack (5 plugs) that converts to a HDMI plug in straight to the back of the HDTV. I hooked up the RCA plugs (B,G,Y) and plugged the HDMI in, but get nothing. Nothing through Component Function, HDMI... show more I have a DVD player that is component hookup. I wanted to hook it up directly to my HDTV. I bought a Component RCA jack (5 plugs) that converts to a HDMI plug in straight to the back of the HDTV. I hooked up the RCA plugs (B,G,Y) and plugged the HDMI in, but get nothing. Nothing through Component Function, HDMI Function on the TV. Am I missing something? How do I do this correctly?
Update: Have a HP IDB5220n, Sony HT-C800DP and a HDMI to 5 RCA cable (1080p 24k Gold plated).