Hooking up HDTV and DVD player through Component/HDMI plug?

I have a DVD player that is component hookup. I wanted to hook it up directly to my HDTV. I bought a Component RCA jack (5 plugs) that converts to a HDMI plug in straight to the back of the HDTV. I hooked up the RCA plugs (B,G,Y) and plugged the HDMI in, but get nothing. Nothing through Component Function, HDMI Function on the TV. Am I missing something? How do I do this correctly?

Have a HP IDB5220n, Sony HT-C800DP and a HDMI to 5 RCA cable (1080p 24k Gold plated).

Favorite Answer

You should return the cable that you bought as this is a fake.

You cannot convert HDMI to component without doing a digital to analogue conversion. This requires an expensive device and is certainly not worth really considering.

Your best alternative in this situation is to connect the video signal using the component cable (this will be an analogue connection) and use either a digital co-ax (normally an orange single RCA connection) or optical (a toslink connection) to drive the audio.

This way you will get support up to 1080i and 5.1 digital sound.

There is an immense amount of confusion around HDMI at the moment and there are people taking advantage of this.

If you want to know more about the HDMI interface and HDMI cables you can download the free 21 page ebook "HDMI Demystified" at the following link.

http://www.hdmisystems.com/

Source(s): Industry Insider

When it comes to HDMI there is no beating around the bush. That converter product may work on some TVs but it may not, and it also may not work with some content and some DVDs. This is the nature of HDMI.

Simply ditch the HDMI and plug the component RCA jacks directly into the back of the TV. As the previous answer read, you will not get any better by using a converter to bring it in via HDMI and will be capped at 1080i resolution most likely in any event.

You cannot feed component signals into an HDMI input. They are not the same signals. That converter is a piece of crap.

Just hook it up with the component jacks like another responder told you. You will not notice any difference anyhow.

When you purchase a Blue Ray DVD player where you "might" be able to see a difference, it will have the HDMI output on the back so you won't have a problem hooking it up to the TV.

You will never get better than 1080i out of the player so why not just hook up the TV with component.

Also provide model numbers so we can get an idea of what you need to do. many things could be wrong and will vary by model number.

EDIT:

Actually guys some HDMI and DVi have a analog component signal as well. problem is that most makers don't implement it.

Source(s): MSEE

Make sure you switch you input on your tv to the hdmi...my tv has 6 different sources i can choose.

You can try the Pavtube DVD Ripper.I always use it to convert video including AVI, WMV, MP4, MPEG, MOV, VOB, 3GP, FLV, etc. my friends recommend it to me, it's safe and works pretty well. The conversion quality is good, and the conversion speed is really fast.Try it and you will love it.