Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why is the FDA going to regulate tobacco? Is this the beginning of the end of smokers rights?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090402/ap_on_go_co/fd...

WASHINGTON – Anti-smoking forces won a long-awaited victory Thursday as the House passed legislation that would give the federal government key controls over the tobacco industry for the first time.

The measure, passed 298-112, gives the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate — but not ban — cigarettes and other tobacco products.

I am a non smoker. I don't care if people smoke, just don't do it around me or in a building (except your home and car). So now tobacco is going to be regulated. So is this the start of the slow path to eliminating tobacco products and making them illegal?

Best Answer

Regulation is the first step toward elimination. After all, the ban on drugs is working SO well, they want to extend it to tobacco. LOL!

I have a problem with "anti-smoking forces" because there are already prohibitions against smoking in public buildings, including restaurants. Therefore non-smokers do not have to smoke nor even breath the air of smokers, so why do those "anti-smoking forces" get to encroach further on someone else's choice to smoke? Not to mention that they get to revile smokers AND at the same time fund SCHIP expansions with a tobacco tax. Enough already!!

Now here's where my opinion is mixed... a valid argument can be made for some oversight of additives, particularly nicotine as an addictive substance, in manufactured cigarettes. Nicotine levels for example are significantly higher in manufactured cigarettes than in "roll your own" tobacco. The article also mentioned flavoring... does that mean that the types of flavoring additives would be evaluated for safety? Or does that mean that menthols and vanilla-flavored cigars are soon to become a thing of the past?

Well if it was not for tobacco we would not be a country. When the first English settlers arrived in Jamestown in 1607, tobacco was a crop. 402 years later Obama decides it is a Drug, give me a break. I smoked for 32 years and on April12,2009 I quit, because I refuse to pay the taxes that Obama added to a single pack of cigarettes. I got mad, no furious, It is not a sin to smoke. What is a sin is the greed of the Federal Government to pay for programs that We the People do not want........

Dude local governments have been killing smokers longer.

Lol.

I'm a former smoker and can tell you that the city of Philadelphia is hell bent on destroying smoking. The feds getting involved may be worse but look at local first before the feds.

I agree with the guy below me. I quit and I don't want to be exposed to that involuntarily. Sorry my health should not be jeopardized because you want nicotine.

• logan

I doubt it, they can't even take care of the food that grows here in the U.S. Every time we turn around there is another recall. It's scary.

There is too much money being made in Washington off of the tobacco companies for them to make it illegal. Washington will piss off too many contributors if they do that.

Smokers don't have rights. People have rights, but you don't get any additional rights for being a smoker.

Tobacco kills 600,000 Americans every year. That's as many as died in the Civil War over 4 years, twice as many as died in World War II over 4 years, and 10 times as many as died in Vietnam over 8 years.

So every year, smoking kills enough Americans at a rate equal to 4 times that of the Civil War, 8 times that of World War II, and 80 times that of Vietnam.

And it's all totally preventable, if people will be smart enough to not smoke.

It's a public health hazard, and therefore it MUST be regulated. In fact, it should be banned, but we don't have the votes for that yet.

Tobacco IS a drug.

And so is alcohol.

It is two out of three reasons to justify eliminating the ATF.

This is like feeling sorry for those that were not allowed to drop acid after it was outlawed in 1965. You can talk a big theory but who is it helping for smokers rights? Who would be disadvantaged by ending smoking. I wish there were a few laws giving me incentives to loose weight.

Breathers rights trump smokers rights.

'Smoker's rights' have been disappearing for a decade now. This is not a new phenomenon.

Turn off Limbaugh, he's rotting your brain.