Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

If you are in a vehicle travelling at the speed of light, what happens if you turn on the headlights?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It would be the same as it would if you were travelling at normal speed. Since the headlight is attached to the car and moving along with the car, it wont make any difference. You will still be able to see the light in front of you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Einstein asked this very question, more or less. This is why nothing can travel at the speed of light. What happens is that the headlights shine ahead at the speed of light. If the vehicle is traveling near light speed, the next question is relative to what? As far as you sitting in that vehicle goes, you're standing still and the headlights are doing their job, illuminating what's in front of you. The speed of light is constant, regardless of the reference frame. If somebody saw you zipping by at nearly the speed of light and saw you turn on your headlights, the observer would see the light from your headlights moving at the speed of light, as would you, regardless of your state of motion.

• Well, then the lights would turn on. Probably, since you are traveling the speed of light and the headlights are in front of you.. That's how I'm thinking..

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there isn't headlights on a vehicle going the speed of light, silly

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since the headlights precede you they would do the same as at any other speed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My best guess is the light would just stay in the bulb and not shine forward. Cool question.

• 1 decade ago

no, the light will have to move forward at the velocity of light relative to you. so, to you the light will travel at 300000000 m/sec, but for me, at the side of the road, it will be going at 60000000000000000 m/sec.

this is all just hypothetical of course.

Source(s): physics is really my cup of tea
  • 1 decade ago

Then you are litrally travelling at the speed of light.

I think anyway :/

Im to dumb to know :P

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The light won't shine out in front of you. It'll just stay there... stuck in the strands of time....

Source(s): nerd. :)
  • huh. lol

good question lol

im not sure.

i guess you wouldnt be able to see them.

idk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.