Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

BOATS BOATS BOATS???How much for insurance,?

Ok, so im 22, i want to buy a boat like this one

and just keep it in my drive way at home on the weekends..

So any boaters out there please help....

About How much would insurance be?

Do i need a special boating license?

what else is important to know about owning a boat,..? please help....


Oh, and i live in Anaheim, California

Update 2:

thanks "bb f",..

Update 3:

Thanks, thats great help michael...

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    My boat is a 2008 and insurance is $267 a year for full coverage.

    I have attached the link to the CA laws for boaters.

    When you start getting used to your boat, do the check out yourself. I was letting someone help me and almost sank the boat because we left the plug out, and when it was put in, it was put in the wrong hole.

    Run through launching it by yourself. Unplug the light connector, undo the straps, let the motor down, put the plug in. When you get on the ramp, that is not a good time to figure out a procedure for launching. Especially if you launch in the middle of a tournament. Way hectic.

    I do not believe you need a license, but if you have never been around boats, I would at the very least study the rules of the road. If they have a class I would take it just to learn the ins and outs of boating.

    I noticed the said the top was not included. They are not that expensive, I think around 60 to $80, so it s not that big a deal, or you could just get a good hat.

    What the other guys say about life vest and stuff like that, is all true it is part of the coast guard required equipment.

    Have fun with your boat, I don't care what anyone says, I would not give mine up, nor be with out one. Do your maintenance, keep the right oil mix, and keep an extra set of plugs in the boat. Keep an extra drain plug in the boat. An adjustable wrench, a screw driver, tape, typical stuff for potential break downs.

  • 1 decade ago

    It all depends on the age of the boat for insurance. I have a 1970 boat and ins is 17.00 mon and I also have a 2004 boat and ins is 64.00 mon on that one soo it all depends on what style and what your using it for. No youdon'tt need a special license for a boat but if you were born after 1982 you will have to take a boaters exam course check your local laws. The only thing else important to know about boating is that you have to make sure you have a life jacket for every person on the boat a fire extinguisher, afloodingd device, a horn, a distress flag, I hope this helps This is my first year boating also so if I can help in any way let me know.

    Source(s): My sources are the ohio state watercraft division
  • 1 decade ago

    In most states no special license is required , insurance on that type of boat will run $150-200 a year depending on coverage ( I have mine through Progesive) The most important thing in buying a used boat is HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. Rember a boat is a hole in the water around this you pour money into used boats can be a real nightmare and cost you a ton of money spend the couple of hundred to have it throughly inspected by a qualifed marine mechanic

  • 1 decade ago

    If you love the water get the boat. It looks to be in good shape and a great price for a starter boat. It is always a good idea to take a coast guard aprroved course. Depending on the value of the boat will base your insurance cost. You will also have to pay a luxury take to the county of Orange. I have a 2000 24' deck boat and i pay $411.00 a year for Insurance and $75.00 a year for Orange County taxes and i live in Anaheim. You can go online to Gieco and get a free quote. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I only pay $50 a year, yes I said per year for proper liability coverage on my 1985 bowrider I/O. I get a lot of envious comments about how great of a deal I have with my insurance company.

    First off, analyze your needs for the boat. If you plan on doing any significant skiing or wakeboarding, a boat this small with only 50 or 75hp outboard won't work.

    Something in the range of 16 footer probably would be best. Probably 85 to 115 HP outboard would be optimal.

    Before considering buying any boat, the following things must be checked out:

    Detailed hull inspection by looking for odd discoloration, cracks, exposed outer fiberglass, softness of hull, condition of transom, etc.

    Is the boat floor solid and firm in all areas?

    Is the interior of the boat not excessively damaged or worn. This costs money to fix.

    How well kept is the outboard motor, is there a damaged lower unit skeg, is the prop in bad shape?

    At the controls, is the steering smooth and free of any excessive play? Is the control box and cables for the outboard in decent condition and work properly.

    Trailer condition, is all major components of the trailer in proper shape? Roller wheels, bunk boards, trailer wheel bearings, etc.

    If you intend on making a possible offer on a used boat from a private seller, at minimum take it to certified outboard service shop for an inspection at your expense before buying. Definitely try though to get a test drive of it.

    Failure to have it inspected before you make the deal will result in getting stuck with a lemon and no legal recourse.

    Regarding info, it is quite easy to look up boating regulations for your state. Most states, I believe California included make it easy to find one of those boating regulations booklets for easy reference free at sporting goods stores.

    This web site is also a quick easy reference to the same information, however I prefer a reference book on-hand.

    Necessary equipment:

    Photo ID, boat registration, proof of insurance

    1 USCG approved life preserver that is rated for that individual per person. That means you can't have 6 adult vests and have 5 adults and one 8 year old, the equipment must fit the passengers.

    1 USCG Type IV throwable device, working horn, and fire extinguisher.

    Source(s): 3rd Generation boater 17 years of experience 6 years of PWC experience.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It depends more on the CAPTAIN and his/her experience than the boat. I have a 100 ton license with Auxilliary Sail and over 10,000 sea miles in the logbook and a 34 foot, custom built steel hull Cutter rigged Sailboat and my insurance costs me about $200 per year for full coverage on a $200,000 boat.

  • 4 years ago

    Whatever you get, make sure you're covered for fuel and oil spills, because the Coast Guard and the EPA can charge a ton for clean-up. Try BOAT/US for good coverage,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.