My son is almost 3yrs old and way pass taking the bottle away?

He is so smart that he knows his to big for a bottle and he acknowledges that he should be using sippy cup. He drinks everything else from cups but not milk. Our problem is at night time, any ideas how can I completely take it away without having to go crazy?

• <3
    Favorite Answer

tell him there is a baby that has no bottles so youre going to collect all his bottles for the baby.

have him help you put them all in a bag for goodwill or a friend or just to put away. he'll feel important.

Source(s): used same thing for pacifiers with my nephew

If he is taking the bottle to bed with him, that needs to stop immediately. It's wretched for his teeth. If this is the problem, he needs another thing that will soothe him as his cup does--a blanket or stuffed toy is a good option. If he picks it out himself at the store, he may be more apt to use it, but make sure he is aware from the get-go that the new stuffie or blanket means no more bottle. Make sure he knows that when you buy that thing, the bottle is going away for good.

If he is drinking the bottle before going to bed, you need to replace a night-time drink with a quick sip of water from a sippie cup. He doesn't require those extra calories before bed, and is only using the bottle to soothe himself and calm down for sleep. Try starting a new bed time routine that does not include bottle time--a bath and reading a book is a good option. Make sure, again, that he is aware that reading a book at night is replacing drinking the bottle. Let him pick out a couple of books at the store that you can read to him.

Good luck. If you must, take it away and say that's it. He will fight it, but if you are consistent, it will be alright. If you know anyone that has had a baby recently, you could maybe talk your son into "giving" the new baby the bottles because he's a big boy and doesn't need them anymore. Or, you can leave them out on a table for the "bottle fairy", and the bottle fairy can leave him something special in return (a stuffed toy or blanket). Or, just see what he thinks about being a big boy and throwing them away. If you get him excited about being a big boy, and he understands that big boys don't use bottles, it may help him let go.

If he is only getting before bed then just take it away and get rid of them all. Show him there are no bottles left and give him an alternative. Technically he should be able to do drink without the sippy cups. Start treating him like a big boy and he will become one.

Source(s): mother of 1 boy and 2 girls ages 17,14,11

At almost 3years old there is no easy way to take it. Hes going to be upset but it could effect his teeth having milk in a bottle at night. Honestly..if i were you i would tell him that all the new babies born need bottles to use and he needs to give them to the bottle fairy so those babies can eat. And i would just toss them. Try to keep him active during the next couple days by playing outside or whatever he likes to do so he is not thinking about it. Also maybe take him to the store and let him pick out his own sippy cups. Goodluck.

Yeah do what I did. I took all the bottles and through them away. I had to do this because my older son would not give up the bottle because my younger son was still using one. Throw them all away. Then at bedtime snack, but the milk in a sippy cup or spill proof cup. At first he will refuse to drink out of it and throw a fit. It is their way of trying to manipulate the situation, to drive you insane until you give in to what they want. But after a couple of days he will see that you are not going to give in and that is all he is going to get then he will give in to you. It is partially a power struggle between you and the child. Stand your ground and dont give in.

I'm sure you know by now, the longer you wait to take the bottle away, the harder it gets. My son would only drink milk from the bottle too. He stopped taking a bottle shortly after his first birthday. How we did it was, at first we would only have a bottle before bedtime. After about a week or two of only one bottle a day, it was pretty easy. We just would give him a cup of juice or water before bed. Granted he still has his pacifier (18 months old) and his blanky. But we're hoping to take his pacifier away by two. Good luck.

Our daughter is 13 months old, and we got rid of all of her bottles except her nighttime one before she turned one... To get rid of the nighttime one, we just stopped giving it to her. We got her a new cup (not a sippy cup - a regular cup) that would be exciting for her to use (but messy, so we always use a bib with a pocket!). Maybe a new "big boy" cup would be exciting enough that he will not want to use the baby bottle anymore.

• Amber

You'll be surprised to find that most 3 year olds will adapt quite easily to it just being taken away cold turkey. Because, your're right, they do know they are too big...and it's usually us, as parents, who are allowing for this behavior. I had my son throw his away...never had a problem after that. I know someone who chose some wrapping paper and wrapped his pacifier up and that was the end of that. Can be done with a bottle as well.

Why at almost 3 is your sonn still having a bottle at bedtime? He needs to stop associating bedtime with drinking milk. Drinking anything at all in bed or in their bedroom at this point should be a no no. Drinks belong in the kitchen or where other in you family drink such as playroom, livingrooms, dining rooms etc. He may cry the first night but he will not die from the experience.

one thing i did was get the soft nipple sippy cup and let them go to bed with that my little one would cry for a little while but then would start drinking it. after about 2 weeks of that i just took it away and she had no problem with it. may not work the same way but i might help

Source(s): mother of three

There is no simple way. I would just say that he is a big boy now and let him pick something out to replace the bottle with (like a stuffed animal or toy). It will be difficult but it has to be done. Good luck.

Source(s): Mommy to a 2.5 year old daughter and 1 year old son