mango asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 decade ago

who is richard suanders?

i was wondering who is richard suanders. my professor tell me to think politcal.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Benjamin Franklin wrote the Poor Richards Almanac under the pen name Richard Saunders.

"In October 1727, Franklin and a number of his acquaintances organized a discussion group known as the Junto. This group examined and debated current scientific and political ideas and later became known as The American Philosophical Society. Believing in the importance of self-education, he founded the first public library in America in 1731 and chartered it in 1742 as the Philadelphia Library.

He first published Poor Richard's Almanac in 1732, under the pen name of Richard Saunders.

It contained maxims of wisdom like "A stitch in time saves nine" and "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise". The volume gained a wide and appreciative audience, and practical wisdom exerted a pervasive influence upon the American Character.

• 1 decade ago

Richard Saunders is the pseudonym of Benjamin Franklin.

Franklin, obviously, being one of the Founding Fathers of the USA.

The pseudonym "Richard Saunders" is found on Poor Richard's Almanack (notice achaic spelling of 'almanac') - a book filled with loads of information and stuff that Franklin released every year (as is common with annual publications).

The name Richard Saunders comes from "Poor Richard", which is the name you will see more commonly on the almanac.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): I know some weird things.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.