Any experiences with USB powered external harddrives?!?

Hello,

I have just bought an external case that an internal 2.5" hard drive can be installed inside it. I have not received it yet. It has no power supply since it's powered by USB. Does anyone have any experience with this, or with USB powered external drives?! Would there be any speed/power issues?!

I am thinking of monitoring a Hitachi 320 GB drive inside it and use it with a HP laptop.

Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. you need to format the hdd in NTFS and also you need to make sure the computer is in NTFS format. If its not it will not work.

2 It may be advantage to set your USB power to never to turn off. The default is for the computeer to urn off the usb.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

As USB powered exterior harddrives are frequently this form of hard disk in netbooks, they don't seem to be 2TB in length yet, regrettably. i'm useful there's a 500GB or possibly even 1TB while you're fortunate. Western digital perform a little remarkable exterior HDDs powered with the help of USB.

• 1 decade ago

As long as the HDD is plugged in you are fine. They are just as fast as 3.5" HDDs, The power supply is a little higher, But laptop (2.5" HDDs) power from 5v anyway, So it will be the same speed as a normal laptop HDD, and power isn't an issue.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i have one and i use it with 500gb segate HDD but i recommend u to buy and segate external storage drive cause they have power adaptor .

www.segate.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.