how are population density figures determined?

Update:

how are different densities shown on a map?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Population density is a feature of a specific geographic region. So you count up all the people living in the region, divide by the area of the region, and that's your population density. Population density is expressed in the number of people per square mile, or people per square kilometer, depending on your preferred unit of measurement.

As an example, consider the information about Kansas on the Census QuickFacts site:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/20000.html

Kansas had 2,688,418 people in the year 2000, and was 81,814.88 square miles in size. Do the division, and you get their listed value for population density of 32.9 people per square mile.

On a map, the mapmaker decides how to group the densities into categories that will tell the "story" the mapmaker is interested in. Then the mapmaker selects colors or shadings (or both) to fill in each region according to the category assigned to that region. Often, the mapmaker will choose darker colors for regions with higher densities.

Of course, the "story" told by the mapmaker also depends on the regions chosen. You would get a different story looking at population density of the US if you divided the country into its 50 states than if you divided it into its around 3,000 counties. Think about that as you look at the population density maps of the world at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hmmmm appears like a homework project... yet you requested... it truly is an answer... If my answer receives you a extra ideal grade, you darn properly extra ideal be letting me understand!! I deserve some credit! 0 inhabitants boom- Duh- the poulation is staying the same... no enhance, no decrease in what number persons... this is totally uncommon, and that i could suspect some type of inhabitants drop is on the way. both that or some thing is "culling the herd," preserving the inhabitants length. Age structure- percentage of persons in each and every age bracket.... after I stated a graph of this- the upright replaced into age and the horizontal replaced into inhabitants. The bars were both on the right and the left- one aspect replaced into adult males, the different replaced into women folk. China's replaced into seriously lopsided (boys vs ladies), arising international locations were very triangular (very even mortality cost from start to previous age), and the U. S. replaced into truly type of rectangular (those pesky toddler-boomers, filling up the proper). existence Expectancy- the known age at time of lack of life. contained in the U. S., this replaced into seventy 2 even as i replaced into in junior extreme (15 yrs in the past). contained in the midsection a lengthy time period although, it replaced into about 35. inhabitants Projections- the expectancy of what the inhabitants will be doing contained in the destiny. (determine out your own "2 appropriate information"..) Fertility cost- how usually pregnancies take position, a hallmark of start cost, and a element in inhabitants projections. inhabitants Density- what number persons in a particular section.... this is larger in ny city than in BFE Iowa. lack of life cost- is this one typically divided by capacity of age crew? Mortality cost... what number persons who get into this age crew die earlier they get out of it?... many times written in %

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.