Did women flight in battles during the middle ages?

I have been looking for info on this but I can't find it (apart from Joan of Arc of course). Did women fight in the middle ages? I think they did in some cases but I don't have any evidence to back it up. Is there any documented evidence?

Thanks Mrs. Schneider

• A woman's job was to stay home and take care of the children, she was slightly higher than a slave, with the common people. In rich society she was more intellectual and was expected to do knitting or play chess. So No women did not fight in battles during the middle ages.

They rarely actually fought as men did (I mean in putting on the armour and getting out there whacking people with a lance and a sword). However:

- a noble lady was routinely expected to deputise for her husband when he was away, so she would have to command the garrison if their castle was besieged, and so on. Noble girls were trained up in the necessary skills to do that. And if the king called out his feudal army, she would have to lead their men to war. However, normally she would leave the actual battlefield leadership to a trusted captain; you needed to have trained from childhood to fight like a knight.

- in sieges, the women would help as best they could, e.g. in throwing stones over the wall at the defenders, shooting with bow and arrow, manning a catapult. (In 1218 during the Albigensian Crusade, the North French leader Simon de Montfort had his head smashed in during the siege of Toulouse by a stone fired from a catapult operated by a group of women:

Ac dins una peireira, que fe us carpenters

Qu'es de Sent Cerni traita la peireira e•l solers

E tiravan la donas e tozas e molhers

E venc tot dreit la peira lai on era mestiers

E feric si lo comte sobre l'elm qu'es d'acers,

Que•ls olhs e las cervelas e•Ls caichals estremiers

E•l front e Las maichelas li partic a cartiers;

E•l coms cazec en terra mortz e sagnens e niers.

(Translation:)

There was in the town a mangonel built by our carpenters

And dragged with its platform from St Sernin.

It was operated by noblewomen, by little girls and men's wives,

And now a stone hit just where it was needed

Striking Count Simon on his steel helmet

Shattering his eyes, brains, and back teeth,

And splintering his forehead and jaw.

Bleeding and black, the Count dropped dead on the ground.

no, i do not believe they did, the men at this time still we above women (no offence). Women did not fight. However, during the American Revolution, the women would be in the battles, by helping with loading the cannons, however they did not actually fight.

I think there were probably women in pretty much any war. (I wouldn't say every battle, but yes in wars.) As far as flight, I'm sure some of them tried to flee during battle too.

Joan of Arc, and maybe someone's mom around here (joke)