Information about asbestos siding?

Does anyone know of any regulations concerning asbestos siding when purchasing a home? My son is planning on purchasing a home and just found out it has asbestos siding. The siding looks like it is in very good shape, but I'm worried that FHA might give him a problem about the siding. Does it have to be removed or encapsulated? In your opinion, should he look for a different house?

Best Answer

There are many house where I'm at with that type of siding. It is find siding as long at you don't hit it hard as it is brittle. The asbestos in it isn't easily friable so it is safe. I know someone that got a FHA loan a year ago with that siding on it.

Many houses have (asbestos) Slate siding. When asbestos is outside the home and in good condition there is little concern. The house owner does have to declare that it contains asbestos outside. INISIDE would be much more dangerous and would have to be analysed by a Hazmat engineer for encapsulation. A good coat of paint is all that is normally needed outside. I purchased a Slate sided house 20 years ago and had no trouble with FHA. Dangerous asbestos needs to be friable. That is decaying and grounded down to an airborn dust. Maintain a good sealant, like paint, will keep it under control. Floor covering glue also contain asbestos. I covered the outside of my house with insulated siding encapsulating the slate and the flooring company layed down a thin plywood when putting on a new floor, encapsulating that as well. These are both standard procedures.

Source(s): OSHA 1910

In the long run your son should ask himself, I will probably have to sell the house in the future, how do folks react to asbestos siding? The answers is one heck of a lot of people are very much afraid of it and would turn the place down with no further thought. Depending upon the environmental regulations in place in your area removal could be costly. Perhaps this should be raised up in the process of setting a mutually agreed price. Removal would increase the value of the property. Even if the stuff is in good shape should you wish to add on or alter the exterior you would have to face this issue.

Source(s): know real estate and the problems of repair
  • Gary V

Asbestos siding is very sturdy as a previous answerer said. The problem would arise if he for any reason has to modify or repair the dwelling, especially if a neighbor or other busy body got the government involved.

A sticky wicket,,,,,

depends on your local code regulation, I have some and a local siding company told me that new siding can go right over the top of the old asbestos, or I can remove it.

Asbestos and Mesothelioma site http://themesotheliomasite.blogspot.com/

He should look for a different house as it cost a ton to have it removed properly and its not worth it. And the company he hires has to have a special license to remove it. You can find more info on the Federal EPA Website