NFL817 asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Why do NFL draft analysits criticize prospects so much?

Why do they seem to talk about the negatives more than the positives.

Except a few guys like Aaron Curry and Michael Crabtree, everyone else gets criticized too much. Even Mark Sanchez who is supposedly the 2nd best QB in the draft, they still have doubts about him and they point out the fact that he only had 16 college starts. To me if the guy only had 16 college starts and is the 2nd best QB in the draft, thats a positive to me cuz it means he only needed 16 games to become so good. And what about Josh Freeman, a lot of fans say he sucks. Well maybe if he had Michael Crabtree and Percy Harvin to throw to he would have been better at K State, cuz last time I checked he had NO big time recievers, and its hard to be a good QB if you dont have good recievers, but that doesnt mean you suck. I just think these analysits spend way too much time looking for every little flaw in these guys and not enough time talking about their positives.

Seriously, its like they are looking for superman or something, they want the player to be perfect. No one is perfect, we're humans, football players are humans too, but that doesnt mean they wont be good in the NFL, maybe it'll take time. but still.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It keeps these people employed. That is plain and simple fact. They need to scream and have something to argue about on TV, radio and in print.

Need to keep those checks coming.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Few reasons...

1) You're talking players that are likely to get bigger contracts than some proven players. The state of the NFL is such that your top draft picks, totally unproven, get huge deals based off of potential alone. You have to overly critique every player you can, because these teams are going to make a big investment to someone who's never played an NFL game.

2) The thing about someone like Sanchez is this. Being the #2 QB in the draft does NOT mean you're good, it simply means you're the #2 QB in the draft. Stafford isn't that good, neither is Sanchez or Freeman. Look at Ryan Leaf, he was the #2 QB in the draft and look at him. There have been plenty of #1 QBs in the draft that have failed as well... Akili Smith... etc. The fact is that being the best of your position means nothing if your position sucks this year, as the QBs do.

3) There are plenty of analysts who also highlight the positives of certain players, but when it comes to the NFL, you have to be cautious. If you look at the NBA, it doesn't matter if you're LeBron James, you aren't making top dollar as a rookie due to the rookie salary structure.

4) I'm a Falcons fan, and I love how Matt Ryan played last season, but he was made the 4th highest paid player in the league, behind Big Ben, Peyton, and Carson Palmer, before he even played a game. What Ryan did last season was more than anyone expected him to do, and knowing that do you think he's worth more than Tom Brady? Philip Rivers? Drew Brees? Kurt Warner? Even some non QBs like Adrian Peterson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. Even knowing that he led the team to 11-5 and won rookie of the year, he's not worth more than those guys. When you give someone that kind of money, regardless if it works out or not, you have to be critical of them and make sure you take the right person. If Matthew Stafford is selected #1 overall by the Lions, his agent will point to Ryan's deal, point to the fact that he was a #3 pick, and likely want more money. He may even push to become the highest paid player in the league, and the truth is that he's not that good and will be a likely bust. The money these rookies make is what makes critiquing them necessary.

• 1 decade ago

I would have to agree with the majority of what you are saying but let me try to clear some things up for you. As you mentioned Mark Sanchez only having 16 college starts and being the 2nd best QB in the draft... That is not a good thing because 16 starts is not a lot compared to 30 or so. Also very elite QB's can succeed with little to no receiving talent such as Philip Rivers, Brett Farve, and prior to two seasons ago Tom Brady. Hope to help

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They criticize because what else are they going to do? There are too many "expert" analysists and they have nothing better to do than gab their viewers to boredom. I don't know that Sanchez is the 2nd best prospect and if he is, it probably reflects the lack of depth at the QB position in this years draft. Of course there isn't any real science that can predict how a player will develope. Just look how low Tom Brady was when he was selected and where he is now. Or Ryan Leaf for that matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you get picked as a rookie on draft day you're about to be paid millions and be locked into a long term contract. Also, high school, college and pro football are so different (performance level wise) that it's nearly impossible to predict. There have been plenty of extremely high draft picks that were terrible on the pro level. Just like with any business, there is a lot of time put into a high paid employee before hiring.

Source(s): My brain.
  • 1 decade ago

Mel Kiper and all the guys at ESPN are very positive when it comes to rating draft picks...they think Stafford is going to emerge and produce for his drafted team right away like Ryan and Flacco did last season. I never heard anyone degrade Mark Sanchez, but they have said he is most likely not going to be as athletic/accurate/have the arm that Stafford has. Which Radio Stations or TV Channels talk about the negatives of this draft class, I've heard mostly positive from Prozac prone Mel Kiper and others.

• strode
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There quite isn't a "ultimate" prospect interior the coming near NFL Draft. turn a coin, and take your p.c... The QB's that run a technique offense already have a caution label on them even as transferring into the draft. That applies to Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, and Tim Tebow. those that play lower than city Meyer's device comes with an extreme caution decal...Tebow (please see all of Meyer's former QB's for information). the last QB's do not look flashy in any respect. hence, that's a coin toss. Tebow has the administration, yet lacks arm capacity and accuracy. he's a third round Draft prospect on the optimal. McCoy has the accuracy, scrambling capacity, and expertise, in spite of the undeniable fact that the spread hurts this is QB's capacity to run a pro variety Offense. Bradford has the accuracy and arm capacity, in spite of the undeniable fact that the spread hurts his resume jointly including his recent damage. Clausen operates a pro variety offense, so he has a head start up in his getting to know curve, yet he performs weak defenses and would not look flashy. Locker runs a pro variety Offense, has sturdy arm capacity and accuracy, yet performs mediocre competition as well. they're all a coin turn. do not enable stats mislead you, because the spread Offense piles up stats easier than the different variety of offense. i imagine Jake Locker is the ultimate QB interior the NFL Draft, yet it is my opinion. you're quite taking a threat on any of those QB's.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nfl draft analysts are worthless. most first round picks amount to nothing and the difference between a first round and sixth round pick isn't that big at all. best quarterback in the league? tom brady and he was picked on the second day of the draft. the list is amazing of top players who were not drafted high.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There some times dick heads because they wernt as good as them in college

• 1 decade ago

It beats overhyping guys who turn out to be busts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.