Can Swimming Build Muscle Mass?

Or does it only make you lean? I'm trying to gain muscle mass, and I've been lifting weights, but yesterday, I had to swim 50 laps (Long story) and I have a pool so I just did it there no rush or anything, and I almost freaking died!! I never thought it would be that hard! OMG, it was possibly the most... show more Or does it only make you lean? I'm trying to gain muscle mass, and I've been lifting weights, but yesterday, I had to swim 50 laps (Long story) and I have a pool so I just did it there no rush or anything, and I almost freaking died!! I never thought it would be that hard! OMG, it was possibly the most strenuous exercise I had ever done and I felt like jello when I got out of the pool. My question is, with all that work, is it really possible to NOT build muscle mass if you do it daily?
Update: Thanks Tom J, but it's okay people like that don't deserve attention. ;)
Update 2: People who have to put their avatars as ahem, jack sparrow.... lol!!