How many Federal agencies are there?
Like CIA, FBI... can you name them all.
I mean mostely like crime agencies.
- The TruthseekerLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
FBI is unit of DOJ (Department of Justice,) which in turn is now a part of DHS (sort of) (Department of Homeland Security). There are too many sub agencies to list. Will run into thousands. You just need to know the Major Departments; that are headed by a Secretary and there are 15 of those. Below that is your Criminal Type Agencies; but they each fall under the one of the Executive Department already listed.
* Department of Agriculture (USDA)
* Department of Commerce (DOC)
* Department of Defense (DOD)
* Department of Education (ED)
* Department of Energy (DOE)
* Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
* Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
* Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
* Department of Justice (DOJ)
* Department of Labor (DOL)
* Department of State (DOS)
* Department of the Interior (DOI)
* Department of the Treasury
* Department of Transportation (DOT)
* Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Federal Criminal Justice Agencies [top]
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
Bureau of Prisons
Department of Homeland Security
Customs and Border Protection
Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Justice (DOJ)
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
Department of State
Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
Federal Bureau of Investigation
FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS Unit)
Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)
ONDCP National Drug Control Strategy
ONDCP Prevention Media Campaign: Video, Radio
U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics
U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of JusticeSource(s): U. S. Government Works!
- Nuff SedLv 71 decade ago
When I was studying Administrative Law in law school I came up with an org-chart from the USGPO showing over 240 agencies of the US federal government.
There are LOTS of other non-obvious "law enforcement" agencies (outside of DOJ), including parts of DOD (like NCIS), Dept of Interior: National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife, Dept of Transportation (Coast Guard, etc), not to mention the Washington DC metro police and at least four other agencies having jurisdiction over those mean streets.
- dudeLv 61 decade ago
i dont really know but i think it would be a mile long list.